• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 conical mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
To avoid an argument about why please just go with the question.

Does anyone know if there is a conical mold for a .62 rifled ML. I'm curious to see how it might work. BTW, I do like the RB out of this gun. Just killing time. :thumbsup:

NEI Handtools makes a .610 and .622 diameter mould. 900 grains IIRC.

steve

how much powder would it take to make that huge chunk of lead fly and would a 62 barrel hold that large of a charge?

Yikes that's huge. I was thinking a hollow base or something like those slugs in a 20 ga. Something that would weigh the same or less than a .61 RB.

I usually shoot the RB with 70 grns. The deer seem to like it. Drops them every time. Dropped a Buffalo where he stood too.

Oops, sorry, i stumbled across NEI after looking at an underhammer site awhile back (.62 cal underhammer). It poped into my pea brain when you asked about it. My bad.

steve

Actually thanks for the information. I checked it out. That is huge btw.

Why would you want to try to shoot such a huge, heavy conical, unless you were shooting Elephants, or Rhinos??

A .62 caliber Round Ball weighs in at about 325 grains, and that is more than 3/4 oz. of lead. Even at slow speed, its passes through about all ungulates( deer family), and is a real freight train when it hits large heavy boned animals like Bear. A friend shot a wild boar with a .62 cal. Rifle, in the chest about 20 feet from him, and the ball was recovered under the skin on his back, opposite hip, having penetrated the entire length of the boar( about 3 feet) taking the lungs, heart, liver, kidney, Spleen, and some of the intestines before penetrating the large muscles on the butt. The slug retained most of its weight, and flattened out substantially.

What more would you want for any game on the N. American Continent?

Whose going to volunteer the shoulder to shoot a heavy conical?? Unless you use the technique I describe in my article , "Controlling Heavy Recoil" posted under " Member Resources", you are going to bruise your arm or shoulder substantially shooting such a heavy slug, no matter how much(or how little) powder you put behind it. Val Forgett used a beefed up .58 caliber rifle, using conicals, in Africa to take the Big game, with loads as heavy as 200 grains of power. These are massive charges and heavy recoil. There is a company on the West Coast that makes these cannons still, but installs a muzzle brake to help keep down the muzzle rise in recoil. If you find their site, they discuss conicals, weights, and powder charges that their guns can withstand.

Actually Paul this was the conversation I was attempting to avoid. I agree with you. I'm looking to see if I can find one like the 20 hollow slugs they put in shotguns. Light, a little better ballistic characteristics to see how they might shoot.

As I mentioned before I took a buffalo using a RB in .62 so I'm pretty impressed with what it can do.

I'm simply curious. Can you tell I have some time on my hands?

Edit: P.S. The ones for the shotguns are a little bit too narrow. I guess I could put one in a shotgun wad but I'm trying to avoid that.

The lugs made for modern shotguns have to be made 1 gauge smaller( or more) to fit in those plastic shell casings. They won't work in the same "Gauge" rifle or smooth bore, unless you paper patch them, and use a base wad( OP wad) to protect the patch and bullet from fire. If you Paper Patch, you need enough wraps around the slugs to fill the grooves in your rifled barrel, too.

You can order a custom mold for about anything you design, if you really want to pursue this. If you killed a Buffalo with your .62, you have a first hand idea of how powerful a Lead Round Ball is fired from such a rifle. If you use Wheel Weights, the ball will give even greater penetration.

The one thing you can't fight is Gravity, and this gun will remain a 100-150 yards "shooter", altho it can obviously kill at many times that range. Using a conical will Not give you enough additional yardage to make it cost efficient. You still have iron sights, and those limitations, together with the age of your own eyes. Since these large caliber guns are usually reserved for hunting truly "Big Game", recoil, iron sights, and old eyes don't pose much of a problem if you stick to using a PRB.

Increase the Rate of Twist, and use a heavy conical, and everything changes. The recoil becomes a huge liability for Accurate shooting, and without accurate bullet placement, the Extra yardage a conical might give you becomes meaningless. Even putting modern sights on such a gun won't help much.

I do wonder what something like this would do. The weight is 350 grains and it looks like it might fit in a .58 ML.

236595.jpg

Sabot mold

Just curious how accurate it might be.

Edit: I think I may have found something!

20 ga. foster slug mold. 345 grains of weight, .605 Diameter.

Anyone got a few samples they want to donate to the cause? I'd hate to buy one without knowing if it's worth it.

491639.jpg

I'm not sure still working it out in my mind. I'm might try a variety of ways. Cloth patch, lubed wad, paper patch, or Teflon wrap. I might even do a combo of paper wrap with a vegetable over the powder wad.

I think the twist in my gun is 1:114 or something close. I would like to take advantage of the cavity for expansion into the lands and grooves.

Edit: I see I can buy some hard cast stuff. Would hard cast expand to fit the lands and grooves?

gmww said:
Edit: I see I can buy some hard cast stuff. Would hard cast expand to fit the lands and grooves?

I'm no authority at all on that...but...I wouldn't 'think' so...others may have actual hands on experience...

"Actually Paul this was the conversation I was attempting to avoid."

i think it was a good idea to start the thread with the note that it was not to do with any need or historical based notion about such bullets so as to avoid the whys and lectures on taking game, most times the questions beg for an explaination and ballistic lectures on the PRB and historical lessons as the forum does not know what type of background or knowledge the poster has about such things and most here like to see everyone have the most information possible when making choices on anythingbut such is often taken as an attack which is not the case in nearly every instance, and good luck with your new artilliary piece :wink:

Back