• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50/50 Dawn dish soap and water patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna run right out and get me some! Alcohol Denatured, C10-16 Alkyldimethylamine Oxide, Colorants, Fragrances, Methylisothiazolinone, PEI-14 PEG-24/PPG-16 Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol, PPG-26, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, WaterMay also contain: C9-11 Pareth-8Contains fragrance allergen(s).
i think that is what i had for lunch at the hospital today!

I have been shooting black powder since Christmas morning 1958. wasn't a muzzleloader but still had to clean it. i will welcome and try anything new at least once.
someone of the group here was pimping, er.. recommending windex for cleaning and patch lube. whom ever it was i wish to thank them. my wife would curse you because i steal her window cleaner, but i can keep a secret.
i was hooked on windex for cleaning when i took a lock out to clean and just spraying it made the fouling disappear. i spray and swab with a Qtip and the cotton is mostly clean.
the older i get the more i love to learn new things. today i shot about 25 shots of 65g in a .50.
every shot was lubed with windex. cleanup was 5 patches. anyone want some bear fat and beeswax lube?

I’ve never used a spit patch to my memory because I’ve chewed tobacco for over 50 years and always when I’m shooting. Guess I never thought about them doing the same thing. One of these days I’ll try a tobacco spit patch. And Yes I know I should quit and that it’s bad for me. It’s what I do, and sip bourbon after shooting.
I chewed for 45 or so years and finally gave it up when the price went to $11 for a can of Copenhagan. That's been 5 or 6 years ago. I don't miss it now and I can still spit enough to lube a patch. That's unless I get into the Bourbon too much the night before.

plain old spit works fine for many match shooters. Worked fine for 50 years, why would I switch?
I guess i'm getting old and worn out, my spit don't work so good any more so I tried the Dawn and water stuff. all I can say it works, after a 5 shot burst the muck comes out with one patch and leaves the bore nice and slick.
Bud

Spit patches are no bueno. As I told my brother, I don’t like the taste of patches. Nothing more. Maybe when they have flavored patches 😜 but I just never liked spit patches. Free country.

Last edited:
Spit patches are no bueno. As I told my brother, I don’t like the taste of patches. Nothing more. Maybe when they have flavored patches 😜 but I just never looked spit patches. Free country.
Don't sweat it man. Sort of like me not caring for Taditions guns. Free country right?. ;)

50/50 Dawn and water here...for years, shoot dawn to dusk, no swabbing; HOWEVER, I always use an over powder card to keep even a lightly moist patch from weakening the powder...sure makes accuracy consistent! That way no matter how long between loading and shooting....always consistent.

But you’re stalking me 😜 I don’t care what people do. I said why I don’t. Peace out. Have a nice weekend
His first name IS Evil. One must accept the occasional diabolical behavior to benefit from an ancient beings wisdom.

However being an habitual drooler ( prolly cause I got my false teeth from the funeral home), I have no problem maintaining spit patches.

Wow, I did look for the evyil Mike Brooks at the gun maker’s fair. Oh well another time. 😉
That's about an 18 hour drive for me. There ain't no way I drive that far for anything....well I went that far for some pit chickens once. And there was another time I drove that far for a cur puppy. Besides, I've been retired for a couple years, so what's the point?
You would have probably found some of my guns there if you would have kept your eyes peeled.

That's about an 18 hour drive for me. There ain't no way I drive that far for anything....well I went that far for some pit chickens once. And there was another time I drove that far for a cur puppy. Besides, I've been retired for a couple years, so what's the point?
You would have probably found some of my guns there if you would have kept your eyes peeled.
Yeah, that is too far. I looked, but it was really hot and I was just beat. Coughed all night. I went into overload. Guns were neat, but it was so hot I just couldn’t really pay attention. Maybe next year.

For me, it was a not quite two hours. I saw people with dogs and it was too hot. Happy I didn’t take mine.

Anyway, maybe someday.

I wanted to add that I don’t specifically use the Dawn brand but whatever the wife has under the sink. Probably Walmart brand. Still works though.

While living in Arizona I went to a club shoot and found that I had left home without my patch lube. I looked thru my Jeep and all I could find was Coppertone sunshine lotion. It worked great & you could locate my patch on the ground because it was the one that smelled better than the others.
Coconut oil... ? 👍
My dear ol mate R.I.P. built his own rifles, lock stock and barrels.
Only ever used pure lanolin hand cream. 👍🇦🇺

Back