• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.495 ball in a 50 cal CVA Plains Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewTannerCa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 50 cal CVA Plains Pistol that I'm looking to shoot. I have .495 round balls and .10 pre-lubed patches. Can anyone confirm if this combination will work with this gun?

* I have a wedge installed on the pistol now, this is an old photo
5419476625_b713f559da.jpg

Well if it fits in, it should come out. With the rifling that may be a tight combination though. But then again, many here are more experienced than me so wait a bit and see what the others have to say. :) Do you have a short starter yet?

Sounds like your all set. :)

Because it is a cap lock you will be able to shoot real black powder, Pyrodex, 777 or one of the other synthetic black powders.

Although most rifle shooters would choose a thicker patch the .010 thick patch you have chosen should work all right in your pistol with the .495 diameter balls you have.

You can use powder loads ranging from 15 to 40 grains but I would start my loads at 20 grains.

A load higher than 40 grains of powder load will create more fire and smoke but it won't add much to the velocity of the ball so I consider it to be a waste of powder.

Don't forget to use a patch lube. The commercial lubes like Bore Butter will work but so will olive oil, vegetable oil or even Crisco.
If you don't have access to any of these and you intend to fire the gun within 20-60 seconds after loading you can also use spit to wet the patch.

Spit, if left in the bore longer than that can start rusting the bore.

The most important thing the lube does is to soften the fouling from the previous shot. This makes loading easier.

A good way to get the patched ball stuck in the bore is to fail to lube the patch after the gun has been fired once.

If you do forget to lube the patch, or for any other reason you get the patched ball stuck part way down the bore just pour some water into the muzzle and let it soak the patch for a while.
It will really loosen it up so you can ram the load down onto the powder charge.
Under no circumstance should you try to fire a stuck patched ball out of the gun without the ball/patch sitting on top of the powder charge.

Have fun. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

I actually just got off my butt and went into the garage and dropped a ball down the bore. It dropped in about two inches and then was snug. I wad able to get it to pop out by jently tapping the muzzle on my workbench.

I am using fffg and my plan is to shoot at 20 and 30 grains to see how it does. I pre-measured 6 charges and put them in those little powder tubes. This way I'll have one less thing to worry about when I light it up.

My patches are prelubed, so no worries about dry patching it... for now :).

I use .490 balls but .495 should work with a thin patch. If you try it and its a bear to load then switch to .490.

Don

I have a 50 cal. Hawken. I do realize you are talking about a pistol but this relavant to what you are asking. I shoot a .490 ball w/patch approx. .18, this is a snug combo.

I can shoot a .495 ball with the same patch, however it almost has to be tapped in, almost you can however walk it down by hand as long as there is little fouling in the barrel and you need to be aware of how you are holding the rod in case it snaps!

The .495 ball with the same patch and same powder load has alot more kick. I would assume that has to do with compression. It is even seems to be more accurate with the .495 ball and .18 patch.

Competition shooters often use a load that is so tight that they have to use a mallet to seat the load. So I guess that will tell you something about compression!!!!!!

Well I did it! I went to the range today and was able to shoot the pistol.

It was... Awesome!

I got two shots off and I've gotta tell you, I can't wait to get back and dedicate a range session to the BP firearms.

It had barely any kick.. I was seriously expecting more. Probably a combination of getting used to getting my bell rung by shooting my Garand all morning, and also having a light load of 30 grains of fffg in the pistol.

Either way, it was great.

Glad to hear you had fun. That's what it is all about. :)

Now you can understand how so many of us get hooked on this "old fashioned muzzleloading thing."

Although I am sure you will keep on shooting your modern guns, don't be surprised if you start itching for a muzzleloading rifle.

More than one of our members was given someones old muzzleloading rifle or pistol and tried it.
They now own dozens of them and rarely shoot their modern guns anymore. :grin:

Took it out today and shot some more. This time with .490 balls and .15 and .10 pre-lubed patches. The .15 was super hard to get seated, so I ended up shooting all but one with a .10. I'm assuming that once the barrel gets worn a bit, the .15 will be easier to seat.

Speaking of patches, how does this one look?

6107308033_518fb8fe6b.jpg

It's one of the patches I recovered downrange.

Looks good to me.

As for the .015 thick patches getting easier to load, don't hold your breath.

A .015 thick patch with a .490 diameter ball makes for a .520 diameter combination.

In a rifle, where it is easy to get a firm grip on the gun and the mass of the gun keeps it from moving around when one is starting and ramming the ball this doesn't present a problem but a pistol is a horse of a different color.

Because the pistol is light weight and there isn't a whole lot to grab getting a .015 patched .490 roundball can be a challenge.

Rifles use fairly heavy powder loads and a tight fitting patch/ball is required to keep from blowing the patch.
With a pistols smaller powder load and the lower velocity that goes along with it a tight patch/ball is not required for good accuracy.

Stick with the .010 thick patches and keep your eyes peeled for some .012 thick patches just for the sake of experimenting. :)

Back