• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4130/4140 Chromoly pipe for a muzzleloader barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When something goes wrong black powder can develop pressures in excess of those normally associated with smokeless.
That "something" is when the gun is loaded with a considerable space between ball and powder. This was first published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society in 1760. It dealt with Brown Bess muskets of that time, which had burst.
During the 1980's I ran a number of failure analyses on blown up muzzle loading rifles, and one modern blunderbuss from India. It is possible, knowing the strength of the steel used in a burst barrel, and the dimensions of the barrel, to calculate the minimum pressure that was needed to burst it.
I recall a fine swamped barrel of pre-heat treated 4140 (chrome-moly) that was loaded using the short starter only. Blew at the smallest section, a few inches back from the muzzle. It would have taken in excess of 65,000 psi to do this.
Nobel and Abel of England are said to have measured black powder pressures as high as 96,000 psi. This in a closed container, in the 19th century when black powder mattered seriously to the military. I put all this down in a three-part article that the NMRA was kind enough to publish. See Muzzle Blasts October, November, and December, 1985.

Our modern made muzzle loading guns are not toys. They should be built by makers with serious firearms technical knowledge. Being a great engraver just won't suffice.

Have you ever figured how a pipe bomb works. Black powder in the middle plugged at both ends.
I'll bet it takes more than BP.

I have seen a 15/16 barrel breeched at both ends with a hole drilled on one side of the barrel steel was 4140. Barrell was filled with 3f and set of with cannon fuse. Measurements before firing and after was the same. Every bit went out the fuse hole.

It was hanging in an office of a smith who helped in the test.

Back