• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

400 yard hits with a patched round ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I used the same procedure at 305 yards. That is how I can see through the junipers. The target is that white spot just over the muzzle, with another to aim at for getting the drop. My first two shots were off the target, I was holding about seven feet high and didn't have a spotter. Then I realized that the "broken" front sight I copied from the original Bridger rifle had a step in it that was just about the right holdover. So I used that to hold on the top of the target and hit it the third shot. It took a little trial and error to guess the right drop, but I could spot the shots with my 20X spotting scope and thus I got close. The Hornady Ballistics Calculator predicted 92.7" drop at 300 yards and my "step" holdover was about 81", aimed at the top of the paper but dropping another foot, so Hornady is right on. Of course, you don't need to know any of this stuff, just go shoot and have someone spot your shots, then hold higher (or into the wind) accordingly.
300ydTarget_zpsfbb3a3e4.jpg

Here is the target with my shots numbered in the order I hit. Three balls found were really flattened by hitting the gravel. When I shoot at 400 yards, I'll need a spotter. Then I will just aim up in the junipers or rocks, allowing for the drop. I think I can shoot a better group that way, rather than holding the whole front sight into the buckhorn rear sight. It started to rain so I had to quit, but luckily my last shot was a good one. But the more you shoot, the luckier you get.
Bridger300_zps101e96ea.jpg

I spent half an hour trying to get PhotoBucket to accept my correctly oriented photo, and was sure I had it done, but I see it won't do it. Sorry.

Herb, Did you try those figures that I worked out for you or did you not understand how to use them?
You should always put the target on top of your front sight (where you can clearly see it)then adjust the difference between the front and rear to hit the target even when your walking the bullets onto the target but much easier if you already know exactly how much front sight to hold up over the rear. We've had thunderstorms every day for several weeks and are having one right now. I did get out one morning but only got off 2 shots before the wind got too bad. I had a 2x2'target and was on a Hi Power range with measured 400 yds. Used some sandbags on my tailgate for a rest.
I missed the 1st shot but the 2nd shot just about center punched the target which was tan cardboard, no bullseye. I'll get back out as soon as these monsoons are over. Deadeye

Yes, Deadeye, your drop calculations are right on. My velocity here was about 1720 fps rather than the 1800 I had you calculate for me, but your numbers are good. I'll shoot my .58 as soon as I cast some more balls. I understand how you told me to calculate the front sight raise, but have trouble putting it into practice. For me it is easier to just hold up in the cedars with my usual sight picture. I'll work on your approach some more, thanks.

Herb,
some great shooting, I did ask a question once on this forum re the long shots taken during the revolution. I can see by this group a pommy osifir would be in strife with your good self lurking in the bushes !!

Cheers

Gordon

Hi, Gordon! All one has to do is have a steady rest and an accurate load and hold high until the ball drops onto the target. You don't even need to know your zero at any range, velocity, drop, any of that. But you do need to be lined up correctly right and left, shooting in still air. Any wind at all, even a breeze, will drift the ball a lot at long ranges, 200 yards and over. Most anyone can do this, just try it and see.

Here is the 425 yard target that Lazarus and I shot yesterday. The target is 6 foot tall and 2 foot wide. The bullseye is in the center and the black stripes are 12" apart.

We each shot 20 times and recorded a total of 4 hits for a 10% success rate. When we could see where our misses were hitting they were only off by about 3 or 4 feet to one side or the other. Hits in the grass in front of or behind the target were impossible to see even with a 60 power spotting scope.

We both plan to try this again. Now that we have learned how to shoot at this distance we think we should be able to get 5 or 6 hits each.

So what was our takeaway from this.

1) We used our standard load of .75 grains of 3F, since we were going to have to lob the ball in anyway.

2) A .54 is really a lot better at bucking wind than a .50 at extended ranges.

So if you had 5 or 6 shooters, shooting the same kind of rifle with the same caliber and amount of powder, once one of them got dialed in, the rest could make it pretty hot for the chosen recipients.

Many Klatch and Lazarus

I didn't think academicians :yakyak: accepted input from anyone without a PhD. We are just a couple of old guys shooting at targets. :wink:

Many Klatch

Yeh, you could be right at that. Currently going through Fusiliers by Mark Urban. The marksmanship faced by the heroic officers of the king figures in the narrative. It's interesting to me to note that the British military pretty much learned the same lessons all over again during their torment of the Dutch settlers in southern Africa more than a century later and, people being people no matter the century, their reactions were pretty much the same as well. There are recorded occasions in each conflict of officers, when faced with men who could hit their target, rather hysterically exaggerated the ability of the marksmen and just as hysterically attributed the abilities to a broad class of their opponents. Me thinks at least in part because the officers realized that they were the targets. Any how, the scoffers didn't smell the smoke and the tactics had to adjust to the realities of the man who could hit.
This little exercise in marksmanship being recorded here adds greatly to my reading about back then. So thank you.
Yall make me want to go back to my long range flinter round ball gun project.

Herb, have a .50 plains rifle with set triggers, caplock, I have downed plenty of roos with it at over 125yds, will give it a go at 400 and will post the results in due course.

Cheers

\\\\gordon

If you are going to try a 400 yard shot then you might as well get in on the Loooong Range Shooting Match in our Members Only Online Shooting Contest. All you need is a 2' X 6' target and 20 shots. Target picture can be emailed.

Many Klatch

Mate, Thanks, found the looooong range comp and have anteid up !!!!

Cheers

gordon

Latest posts

Back