• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Great Plains and Patched Round Ball - 200 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz44Mag

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday was a good day to shoot. Overcast, gray, mid 60's.
I had been threatening to take the .54 out for some longer distances for a while, and finally did. The goal was patched round balls at maximum reasonable hunting distance.
My "go to" load for hunting out to 100 yards is 70gr 3f, .535 ball patched with .015 mink.
The rear sight is a Pedersoli "Ghost" Basically a stem mounted peep.
Target is an 11 X 17 printed target, but I mounted it on a B-27 size white backer to make getting on target easier. First few balls were low-low (of course). Through a graduated exercise of adding powder and raising the rear post I finally arrived at a load that would hit. By the end of the day, I managed to keep 10 consecutive shots on the 11 x 17 paper. (About a 9-10" spread) I considered that decent as the wide front factory sight would completely obscure the 11" wide paper in the sight picture.
The yups down the line 15 or 20 benches, shooting a suppressed AR were more than a bit disconcerted by the boom of 100gr of 3f under the extended bulletproof eyebrow hood that runs the entire length of the range. The smoke ball would curl up under the canopy and gently roll down the line. The reverberation was not unlike standing under a large church bell...
The whole point? Learning the capabilities of both shooter and gun. All told, a wonderful day to be making smoke and being outdoors. The high point of the day was having the yups 2 kids walk down to where I was. I stepped them through the process and may have started a new interest for them. Mom and dad agreed to meet up next weekend at the short range and I will take a .45 caliber long gun and let them shoot it, maybe even the Lyman Plains pistol. If we share our passion, we make new friends and engage new youngsters to the sport. We are all getting a lot older, and the sport is seems to be loosing ground.

I'm planning on doing that this spring sighting in at 200 yds and check out performance. I'll be using LEE Real Bullets but still fun experiment.

I have also had great experiences sharing at the range. I got a lady in her 60's hooked on cap and ball revolvers just by sharing my limited knowledge. ;)

I will be doing the same with my Lee REAL bullets. I got a new used LGPR in .54 cal. I had one a number of years ago that shot great with 100 gr of fffg black powder. I shot a clay pigeon at about 150 yds, but never tried to reproduce it. I ended up trading the rifle off. I'm thinking about getting a .45 cal rifle to switch back and forth with.
BTW, Grizz44Mag, what rifle are you using?

Back