• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

400 Yard Group

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 6 or 7 sets of peeps and they all are Montana vintage arms. With the exception of the sights on my original Rigby.

If you are going to buy a set things to consider are which ones do you want? The Soule set will not allow the eye piece to go as low on the staff, and this could require you to have a higher front sight.

It is VERY nice to have the windage setup on the Soule sights.

For a base, I buy the stevens 44 1/2 and turn it backwards, and do a little bending of the base to fit.

You should be able to get by with the mid range set. I have shot a mid range set out to 500 yards with plenty of elevation left. But

For a front sight I buy Distant Thunder. He will make a front sight to any height you want. If you go to his web site you will see one that he made for me that is taller than normal. Jim is a friend of mine and makes great products.

I think I have seen all the options of sights for long range shooting, and it is a matter of personal preference, but I love MVA's.

fleener

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this link.http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=28265

Edit: I'm getting a server error to the link and although the link is from the 'modern muzzleloader.com' forum - this site seem to redirect the cut/pasting of the link to muzzle loading forum' -
Go to Modern Muzzleloader.com forum and look for under the Long Range Hunting and Target shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. I guess I better back up a bit. There is no question about it Montana Vintage Arms has the best products, but they certainly are expensive. If I was in competition that definitely what I would get. My shooting is going to be at the range, competing against myself. Shooting "Pot Guts" or "Jack Rabbits" with friends or just a rock in the cliffs. I don't even know if I am going to like a peep sight, but I want to try something different. I am looking for a rear sight for less than $200.00. Are the Petrosoli peep sights that bad? Fleener I do appreciate you inviting me out to a shoot, it would be a blast. If I am ever back East I just might do that, but until then I have to do what the rural people do for recreation. Shoot those animals that dig holes that may cause a horse to break its leg or just shoot a rock.

400 yards far and away exceeds my roundball aspirations.

I've gotten to 70-80% at ringing the 200 yard gong offhand with my 54....and that makes me feel pretty good. Even that at that menial range, I'm using the bottom of the front sight instead of the top.

I could probably hit a deer at that range, and wouldn't want to receive a .54 ball no matter the distance, but it's too far to be practical for my purposes.

Lee Shaver sells sights for around $200.

buffalo arms have them for $225

fleener

Thanks for the information. I think I better go to a large gun store and look through some peep sights. I guess if one of the sights on open sights is a little blurry the peep would be the same. I didn't stop and think about that. That what makes the Malcom scope nice, it's clear as a bell at all distances.

Does anyone know anything about this Pedersoli Peep Sight at brownells

100-002-377WB
Rifle Adj Tang Creedmoor Universal Middle Range 2" Black
Mfr Part: 465

$134.99

keep in mind that having a fixed eye cup might be an issue for you as well for seeing through it. You might end up needing to buy the Hadley adjustable eye cup, or drill out the eye cup that comes with the sight.

Fleener

I dont know if I have ever used that sight, but I would think it might be what you are looking for. They are not junk.

It has adjustment in the base to allow it to be fitted to different rifles for the tilt of the staff.

fleener

Is went tru tee raunge today an shot me round ball 45 at 800 of them yardds, an was only 600 yardds short side good shoooting hey :eek:ff

Back