• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F or 2F?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly, Spence, I have 32 muzzleloaders at present and mine are same as yours, they love whatever I shoot and they shoot as well with 120 grs. as they do with 60 grs. makes no difference.
I'd have to shoots hundreds of shots with each load to prove that one shot a few thousandts inch better than another.
I use 3F in most, even my .75 hawken but they shoot as well with 2F but it fouls more and takes more for the same velocity. The Old wives tales of the past are alive and well today and still being passed along as the gospel. IMHO
Deadeye

Hello Gents,

So do you think it would be worth it to try 3F after I run out of 2F?

Thanks,

Josh

Hi Cap',

I just figure worth experimenting since I'm still new to the game. Since Goex is what is available to me here, and it is said that 3Fg burns a bit cleaner than 2Fg, I don't figure it'll hurt anything. Might not help, but don't see how it would hurt. Do I reduce might charge by 10 grains or so?

Thanks,

Josh

Either Pyro 2F or 3F will be hotter than Goex.

So, going from 2F Goex to 3F Pyro is a good jump. Try 15% decrease and see how it does.

Josh,
Boy I cannot tell you how many times this and
related subjects has been brought up here at the MLF. 2ff vs 3fff,Goex vs Swiss vs Pyro
etc,etc,etc.I don't want to in anyway discourage
questions,but there is a lot of information in the
archives.Check out the 'Search' feature on the
MLF.

Some guys on here have written that they really like it. Maybe they'll see this and speak up. I wasn't satisfied in my guns, but that could reflect things as simple as a lube change or my really wet climate. One sure way to find out about your guns...... :wink:

I actually just bought a pound of ffg for my .36 yesterday . . . haven't had time to try it yet, but I was "in town" so I picked it up. BTW "town" is 80 miles away!

You guys are still young. When we lived in the country, we felt it was paradise. But the drives to "town" got longer and longer, and when we went for groceries we always forgot something.
I don't like living in "town" except that everything is about 5 mins away.

I'm anything but young, but thanks for the thought anyway! We just keep a large pantry and make trips to town once every week or two. A lifetime of that has taught us recipes are only "suggestions" and if you don't have the right tool or part, your neighbor might. :rotf:

I have one of the picky barrels, a .40 cal that will shoot noticably smaller groups with FFG Swiss rather than any other powder. I have tried many different and at different times same result. I am a believer.

I had an answer all cooked up in my head until I read what paulvallandigham had to say. Paul hit the nail on the head. Listen to him, the man knows whereof he speaks. :thumbsup:

Back