• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

38" Barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt can furnish about any barrel you wish. I've gotten Rice, GM, Colerain and others from him on various builds.

Smokey Plainsman said:
Anyone own a 38" barrel on a muzzleloader or theresabouts?

Thinking on that length in a straight wall style for a custom rifle. Shouldn't need a swamped barrel at the weight which saves me money, plus it will be a little handier than the 40-44"+ length guns. I'm 5' 7" so I'm thinking that 38" bbl should work well for my height. Usage would be a .36 squirreling rifle.

Thoughts?

If you go custom go swamped. I would handle Brown B's Pedersoli first.

The more I think of the Bess, the more I think of a custom... then I get to thinking about a custom and I go back to a Bess... oh, mercy!! :shocked2:

I've many choices to make... first world problems, though!! :grin:

Big and heavy fast twist .52 Renegade has a 38" barrel and is a lot of gun.
Looking forwards to getting it back on the bench this spring.

It is Spring. Last Saturday I chronograghed my long and heavy .54 gun for the first time. Averaged 1911 fps with 80g fff and .528 rb. That charge has the most consistent velocity. Mule deer beware.

My Hatfield .50 Squirrel Rifle has 38 or 39" straight tube on it. It is just a little front heavy but holds on target when shooting offhand better than anything else I own. I also have a Cabin Creek .54 Yorktown with a barrel around that 38" if I remember correctly. I do have a Virginia .45 swamped 42" and it balances very nice but have to admit that nothing holds on target as my straight barrel Hatfields!! Greg :)

Straight barrels don't make the best handling, all around rifles; but absolutely nothing is better for off hand target shooting. You hit the nail on the head. :hatsoff:

Back