• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamped barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 38 in. 32 can swamped A weight . The A weight I don't understand. What's the diff in A B weight. You think this would make a nice squirrel gun. Can I get a prepare for this? I can build them with pre carves just never had a Swamped barrel.
How noticeably lighter would it feel.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a 38 in. 32 can swamped A weight . The A weight I don't understand. What's the diff in A B weight. You think this would make a nice squirrel gun. Can I get a prepare for this? I can build them with prepares just never had a Swamped barrel.
How noticeably lighter would it feel.
Check out barrel dimensions of swamped barrels at Rice barrel company. A and B barrels differ in diameter at the breech. A is smaller in diameter than B, and B less than C, and so on.

I’m going to guess you meant “precarve”. Check out Pecatonica.

Swamped barrel precarve I would not get the lock inlet done. It will not be good if the barrel and lock don’t line up well, with a straight barrel you can move it back, forward, up or down but you can’t move the swamped barrel back or forward once it’s down without without a ton of workaround. The lighter the barrel the less swamping takes out for total weight and the less muzzle weight they lose compared to heavier barrels. But they still feel better to me.

if you can inlet a straight barrel you can do a swamped. process is the same. follow the inletting black.
i did a rice barrel that started with swamped octagonal for the first 10 inches, then a wedding ring, then 22 inches of tapering round.
wife kept asking what the clumps of hair were in the shop but i got it done.
20221030_110156.jpg

I love swamped barrels, but would never attempt to inlet one myself.
I am the Poster Boy for patience, but the 30 days or more it would take for me to do that one thing ( after ruining several stocks ) and getting it right are too much for even me dealing with all those diverging angles and diameters. And I am pretty good with hand tools and attention to detail.
It would be Woodworker’s Hell for almost all of us.
I’ll gladly pay someone else good money to do it that has done a bunch of them and can knock one out in a couple of days.

I love swamped barrels NOT for the weight savings (if any) but rather for the balance that it imparts on the rifle. When shooting one offhand it just seems to "hang: right on target,

Smoothshooter you got me thinking. I need to call pecatonica.I was under the impression that with a precarve the would need moved back until it line up with the inlet then the lock would need inletted. Maybe I'm dreaming.

I love swamped barrels, but would never attempt to inlet one myself.
I am the Poster Boy for patience, but the 30 days or more it would take for me to do that one thing ( after ruining several stocks ) and getting it right are too much for even me dealing with all those diverging angles and diameters. And I am pretty good with hand tools and attention to detail.
It would be Woodworker’s Hell for almost all of us.
I’ll gladly pay someone else good money to do it that has done a bunch of them and can knock one out in a couple of days.
Swamped barrel is not any harder to inlet than a straight one.

I have bought from pecatonic longrifles for years and used swamped barrels with no problem it their precarved stocks,71 rifles I have done most all swamped barrels thats all i use, the A weight is the lightest B is heavy ,most all mine even up to the .50s are A weight,.now that 32 will be heavier due to its small bore but once you shoulder it,,it balances fine.You could go to a 3/4 inch barrel in .32,straight i used this in the .40s and the .36s i build ask for doug ,,mickey

It took me two weeks to fit my swamped barrel. Of course I started with a plank. It was indeed fun.

Latest posts

Back