• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 cal. Navy alignment pin questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim gray

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was reassembling my brass frame Navy replica when I realized that the barrel wasn't quite lined up properly. When I pulled the barrel back off to see what was wrong, I found that both of the alignment pins that hold the barrel in line with the frame were missing. :curse: The gun is a CVA which I believe is made by Pietta.

Does anyone know if these pins are replaceable and or can this situation by corrected? :no: I am definitely not going to be shooting this revolver until I get this repaired. It seems to me that these were a press fit in the frame and a slip fit into the barrel assembly.

Sorry to hear about your Revolver--you are not the first person I have heard with this complaint therefore I leave you with the following web site: VTI Gunparts :sorry:

I had this happen to me I used some brass rod stock and cut some pieces out to make the pins myself. I am going to get some new pins when I get the time but it works in a pinch.
I have a Uberti 1860 army 44 cal. :blue:

I tried 1/8" dowels and there just a bit too big. So, I'll have to try something along those lines until I can get the pins ordered.

Do you know the dimensions of the replacement pins you made? 1/8 inch is won't fit and 3/32 is loose; so I was thinking something around .100-.110".

I wouldn't shoot with wood dowels for pins, could break and misalign the barrel to cylinder. I suggest you take the 1/8" if it is too big and put it in an electric drill and wrap sand paper around it. Take it down to where it just fits and solder in place, then face off the pins to fit. I think 8d nails are about .131"(just a guess) and could be used- a little more durable than brass.

The dowels I have are steel. I was thinking of chucking the dowels in the drill and holding a file against them as they turn.

Those pins pull out (and push back in) with a pair of plyers. If it's a Pietta, try contacting Traditions in CT -I've had good luck dealing with them.

The pins in my brass framed .36 measure .116 diameter for one and .1125 diameter for the other one.
The holes in the barrel are .118-.119 diameter.

That makes the hole 3mm and the pins 2.92mm

If you have a means of cutting hardened steel (like a Dremel with an abrasive cut off wheel) you could buy a #32 (.1160 dia) or a #33 (.1130) dia drill bit. Cutting the shank into two pieces each being about 3/8 long and then epoxyed into the holes in the frame would put you back in business for just a few bucks. :: :front:

Thanks for the help guys. I got everything working with the 3/8" long dowels. I think they were $0.18 so I picked up a couple of extra. It took a while to turn them down with the drill because I opted to use 220 grit sand paper instead of a file. They were a tight fit in the frame; I had to tap them in with a 12 ounce hammer. I put quite a bit of chamfer on them to make them fit into the barrel. The pistol now seems even more solid than before.

Just a thought: Go to a local auto repair and see if they have some roller bearings laying around from some U joints or wheel bearing assemblies. I don't have any right now to mike but they should be close to the correct dimensions. :m2c:

Latest posts

Back