• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 cal, traditions or pedersoli?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskasmoker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I pretty much have my two rifles narrowed down. Id like to either get the traditions crockett or the pedersoli carbine

Even though its a hundred bucks more Im pretty much sold on the carbine.

I will mostly use the gun in thick cover for rabbit hunting with my beagle. I made the switch a couple of years ago from my duck hunting long barreled 12 guage to a nice light 20 double. SO I now appreciate lightweght and packability.

Wich one of these rifles is gonna be worth the money though.

I do plan on building a rifle sometime here in the future for rabbit hunting. I just want something to wet my appetite.

I haven't handled the Persoli carbine, nor have I read much about it. Their Frontier rifle and carbine are excellent based on the ones I have handled, the same model I believe as the Cabelas Blue Ridge. I have three years now on my Traditions Crockett, and there has been lots written on that here at MLF, so a search should turn up lots of threads. There are some fine tuning things you can do, plus a precaution with cleaning patches and jags, but overall it gives very good value for the money. My lock is showing lots of wear, but I've probably got 1500-1800 rounds through mine. I recently did a refinish on it, and photos and a discussion are not too far back in the gun builders threads here. I wasn't real fond of the original blue job and stock finish, but that was easy enough to take care of as you'll see in the photos. Would I buy another? Probably so, but since I already have one I'd prefer to save the money and build a 32 flinter. But I wouldn't let go of the one I own now.

Accuracy-wise it's absolutely top notch. My eyes are aging, but I can still manage minute-of-rabbit heat accuracy well beyond 25 yards, and probably approaching 50 yards. You'll like it.

Maybe someone else can chip in with a detailed report on the Pedersoli.

Your the one that has me thinking about that crockett rifle. I saw your pictures over at alaskaoutdoorsforums. Im rimfirematt btw if you havent figured it out yet.

I was a little dissapointed by hearing that one guys negative comments on pedersoli too. But I think he just got a lemmon.

Hey Matt,

It occurred to me after posting to wonder if you aren't talking about the Frontier Carbine rather than the plain carbine. I just don't know the latter. The Frontier Carbine I handled is a dandy. If you found that one for only $100 more than the Crockett, unless I'm wrong it's a pretty good price. I know Pedersoli has one model that's quite a bit cheaper than the rest, but not nearly so nicely finished.

I have the Blue Ridge in .32 nice little gun, be nice if it had a good lock, eats flints, otherwise ok. Maybe you will be lucky and get a good lock. Also check the Jan&Feb issue of Muzzleloader pg 72 it has article on it, also shows their notso good design of their breechplug. I paid 400.00 for mine. Dilly

I have a .45 Pedersoli Blue Ridge flinter and just love it. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Mine is real easy on flints. I just checked the Dixie web site and they have a sale on the .32 Pedersoli Scout Carbine percussion for $450.00. Not bad, considering they want $380.00 for their Crockett.

:wink: All I could say is that the Crockett, with all of it's warts, has proved to be a reliable gun, well suited for good shooting. The Pedersoli is also a good manufacturer and BTW their guns also have warts as well. Traditions are made in Spain and Pedersoli in Italy (???), the locks on either of the guns are fairly equal in reliability and warts. I think you pays your money and take yer choice and live with the warts, whatever they ay be. I have a Crockett for 15 years and have never had one day of trouble with the gun---yes I am careful about running patches into the "breech", the lock has never failed me. With a .32 you also have the further complication of cleaning after after 2-3 shots---they foul up quicker then the larger calibre guns due strictly to the barrel bore. I took my Crockett apart and refinished the stock with a round patchbox and browned the barrel. And at 77 (thanks to cataract surgery)the sights are perfect for me. Either choice I am sure you will enjoy. :thumbsup:

I hate to even bring this up Pasquenel, but have you tried Pyrodex P in your Crockett? I frequently go a dozen shots without swabbing mine, while I agree that 2 or 3 shots is max with 3f black. My hunting pard uses Triple 7 in his, and it falls somewhere between P and 3f in the swabbing requirements.

And man, we could start a chant about the accuracy and reliability of the Crockett. I can't recall ever having a misfire (CCI #11 caps), and it's almost spooky accurate.

Which patchbox did you put on yours? I just browned and refinished mine, and have been looking for just the right box.

Don't get me wrong. I may like my Pedersoli, but have always been interested in the Crockett. Neat little rifle with some nice lines. Frankly, I feel Pedersolis are over priced. So, if you are looking for a .32, I guess the Crockett would be the bang for your buck. I'd like to get one this summer and refinish it like you and Brown Bear. That would make a great project. Just have to sweet talk the wife. Brown Bear, if that Pyrodex P works for you, then shoot it :thumbsup: .

This breech plug design problem doesnt seem to exist on my Blue Ridge. First off I use 3f. If I use 2f it will bridge at times in the communication hole. Just make sure when you swab, you dont gob off the communication hole. I just use a spit patch to clean out the rifling enough to keep shooting until its time to clean....................Bob

The Possibles Shop has a Crockett kit gun for $329.00 if you wanted to go that route. That way you could finish it how you wanted.

I have CROCKETT...have been very pleased with it for 8 years now....would like to have a blue ridge... but thats gonna have to wait a bit more..

I just bought a new Traditions Crockett 32 cal. rifle. What exactly is different about the breech and what do you have to do to keep the cleaning patches from getting hung up? I did a search on this subject but didn't find the answer. I have cleaned the oil and grease out of mine and didn't notice anything unusual.

Basically when the breech plug is mounted, it meets the barrel fine on the outside, but inside there's a gap of about 1/16". It's sealed and safe for shooting, but if you don't go about it right, that gap will grab a cleaning patch and jam it, the jag and the rod in place. Lots of elbow grease, cussing, and more cussing to get it free. Worst case, your rod might leave the jag and patch behind if you apply too much force trying to free it.

When you know about it and take precautions, it is no problem. Some folks have never encountered the problem because they started out with the right cleaning gear.

Bottom line, here's the way around those troubles:

You need a long jag rather than a short one, not the variety that's simply a short brass button, but the one that has a smaller diameter brass shaft between it and the rod. If you don't know what I'm talking about speak up and I'll post either a pic or a link.

You also don't want oversize cleaning patches. I make my own, and the right size isn't much bigger than the standard 32-36cal shooting patch- roughly no bigger than about 3/4".

You don't want to run a dry patch all the way to the bottom of the patent breech. Pushing a dry patch down most bores, it will usually stop or slow down, then require a little extra umph to go deeper and reach the bottom of the breech. You don't want to take the extra step in the Crockett bore with a dry patch.

Someone a couple of years back posted a series of photos showing how he had removed the breech plug and fitted a spacer or filler into the gap. I seriously considered it, but have done just fine with the smaller cleaning patches and long jag.

Other little things worth knowing about the Crockett:

There's not a lot of room around the nipple for a standard nipple wrench to fit. Some folks have found alternatives, but I don't remember what those are. Some have thinned their nipple wrenches. Guess I was lucky because my nipple wrench will work when I angle it just right.

The key that holds on the barrel of some rifles tends to be long and sharp on the end. And it sits right about where your hand rides when you're shooting the Crockett. Ouch! I filed mine slightly shorter and rounded the edges, then reblued with touchup blue. Problem solved.

The rear sight has sharp corners, and this rides right under your hand when you are carrying the Crockett. The time of year when I'm carrying mine, I usually wear gloves so it's not a problem. Others have reshaped theirs and reblued with touchup blue.

Please, please don't let this stuff scare you off on your new purchase!!! They all have solutions, and when you apply them you have a dandy little rifle on your hands. You won't regret the purchase, but the little details are worth paying attention to.

Maybe a picture or link of that jag would help. Do you think it is necessary to remove the clean out screw when cleaning like it says in the owners manual? Most of my other BP rifles don;t even have this screw.

This is the style you need.

I pop the cleanout screw on mine every three or four cleanings. In the last couple of years I've been using one of these for my regular cleaning rather than dismounting the whole barrel. Add a length of tubing and run the tubing into a jug with a hole cut for it in the lid. Fill the jug first with soapy water and use your patched rod to "pump" it up into the bore and slosh it around real good. Swap out the soapy water for clean plain water and pump it again to rinse. Dry and oil the bore, and youre done. It's not worth my trouble on hooked breech guns, but I love it for guns like the Crockett with fixed breeches.

Back