• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Etipp, When out squirrel hunting, let us know if you see a pine marten or a fisher cat. PA is restocking, and they eat a LOT of squirrels supposedly.

Edited to add: Oops , Ed is in KY, not PA, don't know who i was thinking of, sorry, senior moment

Last edited:
Etipp, When out squirrel hunting, let us know if you see a pine marten or a fisher cat. PA is restocking, and they eat a LOT of squirrels supposedly.
I can't imagine marten will do well enough in Pa. to make a dent in the squirrel population. Here in Alaska we trap 50 to 100 marten a season and even with those numbers we have no shortage of the red menace ( red squirrels ).

Edited to add: Oops , Ed is in KY, not PA, got confused, sorry, senior moment
The last I read, PA is putting the breaks on reintroducing Martin. Bad enough they reintroduced Fishers. They kill just to do it, Martin same thing.

Edited to add: Oops , Ed is in KY, not PA, don't know who i was thinking of, sorry, senior moment
Not a problem, bud.

I'm on the lookout for many things when I'm in the woods here. This may be ill-founded but considering we are about 3-4 weeks ahead of time this year, I've had an uneasy feeling about snakes lately. My concern is with this new knee. In my binder of information from the surgeon it states that any kind of infection in the body/bloodstream can cause major issues with the prosthesis for up to 20 years. The last thing I need is to be snake bitten in my right knee/leg for sure. As much as I hate wearing them, due to being uncomfortable and heat/sweating, I reckon it would be best if I wear my snake gators this year. Not concerned about dying from a copperhead bite itself. Timber rattler is another thing. I much prefer the thick stuff. Lots of steep, damp, and rocky areas with downed logs where I hunt. Just cannot always see down in there where I step.

The last I read, PA is putting the breaks on reintroducing Martin. Bad enough they reintroduced Fishers. They kill just to do it, Martin same thing.
Yes, they stopped the marten reintroduction for now. I wish they had never reintroduced the fisher. They’ve done really well. The squirrels and turkeys are paying the price!!

Be careful Ed, but I’m looking forward to your updates. I’m heading to Maine Friday for one last turkey hunt. I’ll be checking your reports from my blind.😀
Good luck to you my friend. Hope you score a big-in, as my late dad used to say. Please make sure you don't over do it while hunting from that blind. :)

More scattered rain and storms in the forecast for the weekend here, but what the heck. Goes with the territory.

Last edited:
Yes, they stopped the marten reintroduction for now. I wish they had never reintroduced the fisher. They’ve done really well. The squirrels and turkeys are paying the price!!
Fishers are just killing machines. Allegedly, the PGC reintroduced them to keep porcupines in check. I guess in their wisdom (enter sarcasm), they figured turkeys, squirrel, fawns and song birds were acceptable collateral damage. Then what they did next, put porkies on the list of huntable game makes so much sense (more sarcasm). They are really enjoying the kickbacks from the insurance companies I bet.

I see them out there. I havnt shot one.

I know they taist good.

It's just I guess you see them in a garbage can to much around the city.

the ones in the woods aren't as big.

The Dog wants one anyway. If I don't like it she will.

Fishers are just killing machines. Allegedly, the PGC reintroduced them to keep porcupines in check. I guess in their wisdom (enter sarcasm), they figured turkeys, squirrel, fawns and song birds were acceptable collateral damage. Then what they did next, put porkies on the list of huntable game makes so much sense (more sarcasm). They are really enjoying the kickbacks from the insurance companies I bet.
The Pinheaded F&G (or possibly the Fish and Wildlife Agency) have been releasing timber rattlers in TN that I know of for sure. I do not know if they have been releasing diamondbacks or not. Also, it has been said that the KY F&G has been releasing Timber Rattlers but I have not found any information to substantiate that claim.

Last edited:
I have a distress call hanging around my neck. I use it for stopping squirrels on the move to get a shot. They jump on the side of a tree and freeze. View attachment 281519
I have one like that but don't know what to do with it ! I figuired get close and hit him with it , didn't get instructions with it ./Ed

The FWC just released 41 Indigo Snakes up in the Panhandle on a specific WMA.
They are an apex predator. They are non venomous, King snake family. Venomous snakes are a good part of their diet. They get 6' plus I've read up to 8' .
I'd much rather have those released than rattlesnakes.

The Pinheaded F&G (or possibly the Fish and Wildlife Agency) have been releasing timber rattlers in TN that I know of for sure. I do not know if they have been releasing diamondbacks or not. Also, it has been said that the KY F&G has been releasing Timber Rattlers but I have not found any information to substantiate that claim.
You have to wonder what goes through those people's minds to even think that's a good way to spend tax dollars.

The FWC just released 41 Indigo Snakes up in the Panhandle on a specific WMA.
They are an apex predator. They are non venomous, King snake family. Venomous snakes are a good part of their diet. They get 6' plus I've read up to 8' .
I encountered an indigo long ago. It was in NC or SC I think. Maybe even Virginia. In any case, it was very large and intimidating. Not in it's behavior but just it's size and coloration. It was not aggressive. It fled into a brush pile.

I've always found snakes to be fascinating so it was a very interesting and memorable event. I don't kill snakes with the exception of one rattler that was blocking my only viable stalk on an antelope.

You have to wonder what goes through those people's minds to even think that's a good way to spend tax dollars.
You are correct.
Stop and think when the Federal Government had a predator bounty.
They spent hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of tax dollars to Is eradicate all predators. My father told me when he was a child he could take Blue Jay tails or wings to the county tax office and get 2 to 3 cents. The ears from Fox, Coyote, Bob Cats , etc.... and get money for them. Only to spend Millions millions of dollars on the study and Re introduction of some of the predators.
The Kissimmee river here in Florida, meandering from Micanopy to the Everglades. Some major Ox Bowing of the river. Again Feds spent Millions of dollars to straighten its path, only to spend Billions to restore it to its original path????

As far as Squirrel Hunting, as stated in earlier post the FWC has put Squirrel Hunting to year round, stating the 2024/2025 Hunting Season. That starts July 1st 2024. The 4th falls on a Thursday. I have requested the 3rd and the 5th off. It will be hot misquote up the A$$, but I will be out there the 3rd first light. So I best be getting out there and practice with my Crockett Rifle...
I'll have 1 1/2 months to get myself tuned in....

Take Care Stay Safe

Latest posts

Back