• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the plan of action for the day is to go back to the thicket from hell and do more trail blazing. Rain in the forecast but it doesn’t bother me if I get wet. I’m hoping to open up enough paths to make it conducive for hunting with things all greened out. Not sure if that’s possible but I’m going to try nonetheless. At the very least there will be more paths come fall.

Two weeks from today, boys. Of course I’m not counting. 😁

Last edited:
I didn’t used to, but I take the ticks very seriously now. About 7 years ago my oldest Son contracted Rocky Mountain spotted fever. It messed him up for a couple of years. Luckily he seems to have no lasting effects.

When we first moved further south in Louisiana 40 years ago I was still heavy into squirrel hunting. I was hunting some unposted bottom land near Lake Pontchartrain and went to pick up the first kill of the morning. I was shocked to see 2 huge growths on the squirrel’s back, I left him lying there. Dropped another one, same thing. When I got home I called Wildlife & Fisheries, the guy kind of chuckled and explained the “Wolves” to me. Had never seen anything like that growing up and hunting further north. In fact, never saw the Wolves any further north of where I was hunting that morning. After that I’d just skin them out like any other, doesn’t hurt the meat, just looks horrible.
Are wolves the same thing as warbles? Never heard of wolves. You think it is a parasite?

Some bow hunters I used to hunt with when I lived in Colorado used to slide a .38 casing the end of the arrow shaft. Then put 2 finishing nails crossways through that. I was foolish enough to go out there with just a field tip. Every rabbit I shot I had to literally chase down. Whereas every time they shot a rabbit, it made a definite “thud” sound. No chasing was necessary.

Very effective.
Yes sir. I still do that. The .38 casing fits very well over a wooden shaft and the nails bring the weight up to more closely match the spine weight the shooter chose when tuning. The casing alone weighs very little. Such an arrow point is prevents arrows from sticking in trees or digging beneath grass and forest leaves. I sometimes remove the 40 grain lead bullet from a .22 casing and use a dowel to tap it into the 38 casing which adds even more weight.

Attachments

• IMG_3712.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 0
Killed 59 squirrels last year. Many of those were shot during warm conditions. Only one out of the 59 had a wolve in it.

My guess is, perhaps spring squirrel season it would be less likely to find a wolf on a squirrel. Fall season after a long hot summer would be most likely.
Never heard of wolves on squirrels until I started following this forum.
I’ve been hunting squirrels for years up here in Wisconsin and have never seen or heard of them.
Went online and looked up wolves on squirrels and they don’t look very good.

A picture is worth a thousand words.
I’ve never seen a squirrel that looked like that. If I did, wherever it fell would be where it stayed. Buzzards and possums are not picky.

As I have said, I do recall seeing one, maybe two squirrels from many years ago that had one or two bumps on them but nothing like in the image posted above.

That thing (whatever it was) on that squirrel I got last year was not round. It was somewhat longer and funnel shaped, black and actually fell off the squirrel on my bench while cleaning the other squirrel’s I brought home that day. I saw it on the squirrel before it fell off. I was saving that squirrel for last due to whatever it was on its side but it fell off first.

Last edited:
Well, the thicket from hell wasn’t too bad yesterday. Didn’t get in to very many blackberry bushes. Mostly saplings and brush.

Light rain at first then just cloudy. Between everything being wet from all the previous rain, plus sweating, I didn’t have a dry thread on me. Even my high top leather boots were soaking wet. However, I was able to open up a few more paths in there. It’s looking somewhat favorable for early season squirrel hunting but that remains to be seen.

I did find a somewhat flat area in there that could be opened up without too much work. There are several well used deer trails that connect in the center. Not many blackberry briars. It would be a great place to ML hunt that’s a few hundred yards from where I plan on building a box blind. With that said, it’s always tough cleaning out places like that with a chainsaw. I made it two hours yesterday and I was worn out. Hopefully I’ll get my body built back up but Lordy, it’s taking its sweet arse time this year. I am still weak and I don’t like it one bit.

Last edited:
Never heard of wolves on squirrels until I started following this forum.
I’ve been hunting squirrels for years up here in Wisconsin and have never seen or heard of them.
Went online and looked up wolves on squirrels and they don’t look very good.
Pretty sure it’s a regional thing that’s found in the southern part of the country. I do not recall hearing of this up in Michigan nor did I see any squirrels that had wolves in them.

Growing up in Illinois, I shot a lot of rabbits and squirrels. I know a few of the rabbits had them. NOT LIKE THAT GOD FORSAKEN PICTURE. Just a good size bump/lump.
I never saw them on the squirrels. Different species of bot flies are though out the continual US. And even into Southern parts of Canada...

Well, the thicket from hell wasn’t too bad yesterday. Didn’t get in to very many blackberry bushes. Mostly saplings and brush.

Light rain at first then just cloudy. Between everything being wet from all the previous rain, plus sweating, I didn’t have a dry thread on me. Even my high top leather boots were soaking wet. However, I was able to open up a few more paths in there. It’s looking somewhat favorable for early season squirrel hunting but that remains to be seen.

I did find a somewhat flat area in there that could be opened up without too much work. There are several well used deer trails that connect in the center. Not many blackberry briars. It would be a great place to ML hunt that’s a few hundred yards from where I plan on building a box blind. With that said, it’s always tough cleaning out places like that with a chainsaw. I made it two hours yesterday and I was worn out. Hopefully I’ll get my body built back up but Lordy, it’s taking its sweet arse time this year. I am still weak and I don’t like it one bit.
Sounds like you are making good progress with the Thicket From Hell.
I know a don't like being weak. Your strength will be back. Especially with your determination..
You found a good area, with all your efforts it will be rewarding.

Hopefully I’ll get my body built back up but Lordy, it’s taking its sweet arse time this year. I am still weak and I don’t like it one bit.

+1. At 66 if it weren't for my atv I couldn't squirrel hunt on my property.

Last edited:
Anybody have a good design or solution for carrying a longrifle muzzloader on an atv?

Last edited:

Your body will take what it wants for healing, and give you the rest for chainsawing. I think your comeing around pretty good all things considered.

I need a design for a holder to hold the legs of a tree rat so it is easier to skin. Standing on the tail does not go well with me.

Latest posts

Back