• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squirrels everywhere here. Its been a long time since I've seen so many squirrels this time of year. Saw 6 going over to my my happy hunting grounds area to visit a friend. Its only about 2.5 road miles away. Saw 7 on the return. Then I went to town later and saw a few dead ones in the road, as well as several eating buds that had fallen in the road. There's so many squirrels in the roadways that just cannot decide which way to run when getting close to them. After hitting one a couple weeks ago I now slow way down and honk my horn in an attempt to miss them. I absolutely hate running over squirrels or rabbits. Deer goes without saying.

About 30 days remining until spring squirrels season in KY. I hope the little buggers are still out and about then like they are now.

Squirrels everywhere here. Its been a long time since I've seen so many squirrels this time of year. Saw 6 going over to my my happy hunting grounds area to visit a friend. Its only about 2.5 road miles away. Saw 7 on the return. Then I went to town later and saw a few dead ones in the road, as well as several eating buds that had fallen in the road. There's so many squirrels in the roadways that just cannot decide which way to run when getting close to them. After hitting one a couple weeks ago I now slow way down and honk my horn in an attempt to miss them. I absolutely hate running over squirrels or rabbits. Deer goes without saying.

About 30 days remining until spring squirrels season in KY. I hope the little buggers are still out and about then like they are now.
Me thinks somebody ripped them off that season opens in 30 days and you are feeling spry. They are laying in provisions for the siege you and that Crockett rifle are going to put them under in a short time. 🤣

Man oh man, just think how many free Mepps Spinners you'd have if you weren't humanly relocating those fire balls! 🤣 Do they even do that anymore? I used to save the tails when I was a kid, or try to anyway. Id hang them on Mom's clothes line and catch he✓✓ for it. The old man got a kick out of it.

Me thinks somebody ripped them off that season opens in 30 days and you are feeling spry. They are laying in provisions for the siege you and that Crockett rifle are going to put them under in a short time. 🤣
Perhaps, that's if there's any left by then. If they keep playing in the darn roads that's a big IF. There are many dead squirrels in the roadways here. Been that way for over a month.

As I have said, its been many years since I've seen so many squirrels this time of year. There is a high population this spring and they must be hungry. We are at least 2 weeks ahead this year due to an early spring. Things are greening up real fast like. No telling what the situation will be like come opening of season.

Perhaps, that's if there's any left by then. If they keep playing in the darn roads that's a big IF. There are many dead squirrels in the roadways here. Been that way for over a month.

As I have said, its been many years since I've seen so many squirrels this time of year. There is a high population this spring and they must be hungry.
That's what you call a target rich environment my friend! Minus 29 until D-Day😉

Spry…….had to look that one up. 😁

Not so sure I fit that definition just yet but I am working on slowly building myself back up. It’s slower than wet gun powder.

Still have a month so I have high hopes of getting there by the time season opens.

Getting older ain’t for sissies but I do find that it’s overrated. 😁

Last edited:
Man oh man, just think how many free Mepps Spinners you'd have if you weren't humanly relocating those fire balls! 🤣 Do they even do that anymore? I used to save the tails when I was a kid, or try to anyway. Id hang them on Mom's clothes line and catch he✓✓ for it. The old man got a kick out of it.
I presently have squirrel tails in 3 rooms of the house and all over the dash board of my truck. I need to do something with them. Me and the old gal have been butting heads over them for months now. Oh wait, second thought, maybe I should leave them where they are just for the fun of it. 😇

Now to think that spring season is getting close, this could get mighty interesting. I can see it now:

Question…… hey Ed, why are you living in your small camper now?

Answer……… because it’s much more peaceful in there.😁

Last edited:
I presently have squirrel tails in 3 rooms of the house and all over the dash board of my truck. I need to do something with them. Me and the old gal have been butting heads over them for months now. Oh wait, second thought, maybe I should leave them where they are just for the fun of it. 😇

Now to think that spring season is getting close, this could get mighty interesting. I can see it now:

🤣

In my young mind then, it was the equivalent to laying in pelts because I didn't have any steel traps yet, or know how to use them. And who doesn't like free fishing lures?!

I

I still think you are counting the days🤔

I

I still think you are counting the days🤔
Nope, not me. That’s preposterous. 🤣

My gosh, how this gig has totally consumed this old mountain man. I mean, there ain’t nothing like like it. Nothing can compare. I never thunk it.

Now this don’t mean a thing but I just got in from going and picking up a Daniel Boone National Forest map. I just thought it be nice to have one on hand. Of course I’ll never use it. 😁

Last edited:
In my young mind then, it was the equivalent to laying in pelts because I didn't have any steel traps yet, or know how to use them. And who doesn't like free fishing lures?!
Tom, I reckon I should contact MEPS and see if they are interested in all the
Many squirrel tails I have all over the place. They kind of go flat after a while anyway.

75 more days to go. This the first year for year round.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240417_142144_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240417_142144_Chrome.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back