• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started him off young. He loved it.

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Sad thing is, he hasn’t squirrel hunting in years but he does deer hunt. So all is not lost.
He's probably of that age. I was that way once, too many irons in the fire. When I was a kid, full throttle squirrel hunting because I couldn't hunt deer. I'm sure he will come back around. I sure did.

He's probably of that age. I was that way once, too many irons in the fire. When I was a kid, full throttle squirrel hunting because I couldn't hunt deer. I'm sure he will come back around. I sure did.
Hopefully so. My thoughts are, considering he only has to walk a short distance to sit and deer hunt, he's too lazy to walk around looking for squirrels.

I hope they don't get together and hatch a revenge plan
Yep. LC might want to grow some eyeballs in the back of his head.

I can see it now. LC walks out his door and…….Wham, about 5 of those trained attack militia squirrels jumps off the roof on top of his head and on his back.

Squirrels are smart and they don’t forget, ya know. 😁

Last edited:
So, something interesting has happened in the den tree close to the back of my house. I looked out a couple of days ago and there was an old Tee-shirt of mine that I used as a grease rag hanging out of the hole. Yesterday I looked and it had been pulled up into the hole and something else that I couldn’t figure out what it is. Looking through my binoculars I determined it was part of an old grain sake from my chicken feed. Due to the dry season and higher winds, there’s been a burn ban. Both of those were put into my fire pit but not burned. At least one of my squirrel meters had somehow managed to climb the tree with them then somehow managed to drag them into the hole, thus blocking it completely off.

My guess is, and this is only a guess, there’s another hole on the back side and perhaps a momma squirrel wants the lower hole blocked off for her young. The young from fall/winter breading season should be born any time now. I’ve lived here 18 years now and never seen that den hole plugged off.

Squirrels sure are interesting little critters.

@ETipp it's interesting what they will do. Maybe nesting material 🤔

I think I observed something new about my adversaries.

I haven't put the trap out for #7 yet because of incoming snow but the day after removal of #6 I observed a squirrel passing by the spot where I set the trap. It was very pensive and cautious. Circling the spot and jumping backwards then creeping up again. I think they can smell or sense the distress and fear of the previous catch.

After each catch it seems to take several days for the next one to get up the courage to enter the trap. I'm going to start hosing the trap down and setting it in a fresh spot.

Who knew that protecting the fruit trees would turn into a science experiment 🤔

@ETipp it's interesting what they will do. Maybe nesting material 🤔

I think I observed something new about my adversaries.

I haven't put the trap out for #7 yet because of incoming snow but the day after removal of #6 I observed a squirrel passing by the spot where I set the trap. It was very pensive and cautious. Circling the spot and jumping backwards then creeping up again. I think they can smell or sense the distress and fear of the previous catch.

After each catch it seems to take several days for the next one to get up the courage to enter the trap. I'm going to start hosing the trap down and setting it in a fresh spot.

Who knew that protecting the fruit trees would turn into a science experiment 🤔
Have been seeing a lot more activity from the my local bunch from the backyard in recent days. My wife even commented I'm feeding them too good, and they are probably too big to eat, they would be too tough. She forgets I have a small pressure cooker, and 10 minutes in there make even the toughest boar squirrel fork tender. She's just too much of a picky eater. More for me 😉

Back