• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12L14 Steel for barrels???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Green Mountain their muzzleloading barrels were made from 1137.

Hope that helps. Enjoy, J.D.

Flash Pan Dan said:
By the way the “who’s on first” routine was done by Abbott and Costello not Laurel and Hardy.
Whoever did it, it wasn't as funny as this thread. :haha:

Spence

George said:
Flash Pan Dan said:
By the way the “who’s on first” routine was done by Abbott and Costello not Laurel and Hardy.
Whoever did it, it wasn't as funny as this thread. :haha:

Spence

Now that is funny I don't care who you are.... Thanks for the laugh Spence
:bow:
:rotf:

It might not rupture but with the loads these guns are often shot with it would be entirely possible to bulge the bore if you don't get the patched bullet all the way down on the powder and leave a good air space. MD

Um, those heavy false muzzle guns weren't built like that to handle extra heavy loads. They were for rigidity and weight for target shooting.

one thing is for certain, not many folks are going to pack around a 45 pound gun chasing after a deer.

or anything else for that matter.

my thinking is there is likely id to od ratio, that once surpassed really doesn't do anything for accuracy of safety.

i can't imagine blowing that barrel up with any amount of powder, provided the bullet is seated and no blockages.

i am thinking that a barrel made like that one out of dom or for that matter soldered seam tube is not likely to fail... yes you might blow the solder out, but it ain't gonna open up.

maybe the builder was worried about his use of 12L14? lmao

bob g

Not to fear. There's not enough lead in a barrel to satisfy the kids craving.

This is best told by little Bobby Fredrickson:

"When I first heard about the new source of lead in steel barrels I was happy.
Me and my friends have been wanting some lead ever sense those grown-ups started peeling the lead paint off of walls. That was really mean of them.

I got my dads muzzleloader out and started licking the barrel but it wasn't enough to satisfy me. I almost wore out my tongue just to get a little buzz.

Then I found a box of dad's lead balls! It's so good all I have to do is to rub one with my finger and I can suck the lead off almost all day long. :)
I let my friends rub my ball so they can get their lead too.

Before I found these I was worried that me and my friends would be blamed for our stupid thoughts and actions but now we can have so much lead in our blood that our doctor will tell our parents, "Don't blame the kid. Its all that lead in their blood that's making them dumb."

Back