• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

105 gr Maxi ball in 32 cal Crockett

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncmrkhd

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I looked here using the search and come up empty so I ask, any body know or use the 105 Maxi ball in their 32cal Crockett? I got the rifle last summer and got a bag of 105 gr but havent messed with them till now. No brand or mfg inf and they look to be unlubed. I'm guessing they might be useful for coyotes or some critter bout that size as RB seems to be the choice for squirrels. These do start in the barrel but not sure of procedure to use them , any help ?

I've used em. Rub some bore butter or crisco in the grooves. Load direct on powder or over a felt wad. I didn't shoot em enough to comment on accuracy but they pack a more notable "wallop" on stumps n cans n such.

That little .32 prb packs real power when you load it up to the velocity of which it's capable. I recommend going for the most accurate load whether it be prb or conical.

If I was shooting a conical bullet in a .32, I would be real careful about my powder loads.

These little bore guns can develop a LOT of pressure just shooting patched roundballs.

For instance the Lyman "BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK & LOADING MANUAL" 2nd Ed., says 30 grains of GOEX 2Fg under a .310 diameter patched roundball had a breech pressure of 5,400 psi. Raising that powder load to 70 grains of GOEX 2Fg (the max load tested) raised the breech pressure to 15,200 psi.

It also shows Pyrodex P with 30 grains = 12,700 psi and 70 grains = 25,600 psi.

They didn't test any elongated bullets in the .32.

I agree but with 3Fg or equivalent BP substitute which is what is recommended in the .32, small powder charges are all you need. I shoot Black MZ in my Pedersoli Scout Carbine at 20 to 25 grains with plenty of power. I think Pedersoli says the max load is 40 which is way to powerful for squirrels :shocked2:! I have thought about the maxi too but would limit that charge to about 30 grains if I was going to use them. Good luck.

I have a GM .32 barrel that I shoot them in. RMC brand from Track of the Wolf or some other supplier. 30 grains of 3F and they shoot great.

This barrel has a 1-48" twist and wont shoot PRB worth a flip. These were a last chance before I considered having it bored out.

Back