• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

10 ga Pedersoli powder choice? Fg or FFg?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Historian

20 ga. Flintlock SXS
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Need some more insight gentlemen if you please.
What do you like to shoot in yours? Fg or FFg and make?

It will be used for waterfowl hunting so shot weight will be at the lowest point 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 oz's of Bismuth 4's and the heavy loads will be 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 oz's of Bismuth 2's for geese over decoys. I have plenty of OE FFg and just ordered 4 lb's of Swiss Fg to try out. I am looking at 100 to 120 grains max.

Thanks for the input.

I like fg for that big bore. The larger coarse powder makes for a smoother recoil that is easier to manage. Of course if fg is not readily available where you live then use 2fg and reduce the charge slightly by 10%.

It will be used for waterfowl hunting so shot weight will be at the lowest point 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 oz's of Bismuth 4's and the heavy loads will be 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 oz's of Bismuth 2's for geese over decoys. I have plenty of OE FFg and just ordered 4 lb's of Swiss Fg to try out. I am looking at 100 to 120 grains max.

Thanks for the input.

My advice for the heavy load go for the Fg and FFg for the light load .For the swiss powder 85 grains no more than 90 grains which will give the best pattern
Feltwad

I use Fg in my Pedersoli 10 gauge. This is based on trying both Fg and FFg in my 12 gauge shotgun: I found that the Fg gave a gentler recoil than the FFg and slightly better patterns also. But I would not count out the FFg as it may work OK although I have no experience with it in the 10 gauge; you'd need to experiment.

Thanks for the input.
I’ll bet you’re going to be happy with the fg Swiss. The OE is worth trying and if you feels froggy like our British friend @Britsmoothy, you might try fffg Swiss too.

He’s had success with that and a handful of various odd bits of soft metals down the barrel... don’t try that at home though, he’s long lived on the edges, a life of danger.

Hi Brit, I am just curious but what was your powder charge? I have never heard of anyone using 3Fg in a big ten. I do understand that with a big bore diameter like the 10 ga. pressure drops rather quickly.

Thanks gentlemen for all the reply's.
Normal doses, just a wee bit less volume to shot wise.
I don't understand the fuss over granulation. I use 3f and even 4f in my .75 Bess.
1f&2f is for 4g and small cannon in my book.

Brit's, just out of curiosity, what brands of BP are available to you in the U.K.? And what brand do you usually use. What gauge or caliber do you use hunting? I know this has probably been stated before but your hunting excursions are always very interesting. Thanks

I use a brand called Henry Krank's.
They do fine, medium and course.
The fine is like dust, the medium is pretty much the same as the goex 3f I had years ago. The course is like 1f.

My guns start at .45, then 20g, then 12g and a .75.
I don't have my pedersoli 10g double any more but I will never forget it, I shot my highest pheasant with it.

River Rat / Britsmoothy,
Can you guys give me an idea of powder charge weights and shot weights with the 3Fg? I am really curious because I have plenty of 3Fg to burn as well. I was always worried 3Fg would cause pressure spike issues with heavy loads. Thanks for the help guys.:)

Volume for volume max.
It won't make an ounce of difference at all.
The only thing that will ever cause a dangerous " pressure spike" ( what ever that is) is a cavity and powder granulation will make no difference to that situation.
I have said it many times now that if I went to a store and they only had 4f and 1 f, I would take 4f.
If they only had 3f and 2f I would take the 3f. And that's for use in guns from 45-75!

I have plenty of OE FFg and just ordered 4 lb's of Swiss Fg to try out
Can you guys give me an idea of powder charge weights and shot weights with the 3Fg? I am really curious because I have plenty of 3Fg to burn as well

Well since you have 2Fg with 1Fg on the way, I presume you already have a rifle or gun that uses 3Fg?
Why waste the 3Fg on the big bore, when it's likely that the 4 lbs. of 1Fg won't do well in whatever you have that currently uses 3Fg?

I must disagree with my esteemed fellow shotgunner from the UK. It will make a difference. It will kick more when using the same powder load of 3Fg compared to 1Fg. The acceleration is faster so the resulting backward jolt is quicker, and thus you may feel it more. Whether it's perceptible enough to mean a difference to you, is another matter.

I've always used "old standard" loads as a beginning guide when working up a shotgun load.

You see when manufacturers first went to smokeless powders for shotguns, they had to duplicate the well known black powder loads in performance. IF they did not, word would spread and the product sales would suffer. Those black powder shells were made to duplicate what folks had previously been using in their muzzle loaders, which is lucky for us. So companies selling smokeless powder loads for shotguns would post "dram equivalent" markings on their shotgun shell boxes. As time wore on and smokeless powder shells became the norm, the companies continued to use the old labelling practices, pretty much until the 21st century. NOW they post velocity on the boxes. But you can find examples of old shotgun shell boxes and the information online today.

So here you see a vintage 20 gauge box label.

SHOTGUN SHELL LABEL.JPG

2¾ dram equivalent powder which in a black powder load would be 75 grains... of 1 ounce of... #6 shot.

Here is a an even more modern box of shells on a 12 gauge box. I think this is circa 1972...clearly a time when it was hard to find BP shells in most places...yet the antique load measurement is still being used. I doubt many of the users understood it. I didn't back in the 1970's and neither did my dad. ;)

SHOTGUN SHELL LABEL 3.JPG

3¼ dram equivalent would be converted to black powder, 88.725 grains...rounded up ...90 grains of black powder with 1 ounce of #8 shot.

but you are using 10 gauge, so here are a couple 10 gauge boxes for you...

SHOTGUN SHELL LABEL 2A.jpg

SHOTGUN SHELL LABEL 4.JPG

So these two boxes are in your gauge and using the shot that you mentioned. The first appears to be using a dram equivalent of 4¼ powder, and the second is definitely that. That "dram equivalent" equals 116 grains of BP when the math is done..., or rounded... is 115 grains of Black Powder when converted back to a BP load...(or even 110 gains of BP if you have a measure that only does 10-grain increments). Both use 1¼ ounce of shot, either #4 or #2.

But...remember that these are for use in a full choke barrel in all likelihood. So, you will need to pattern such a load from your 10 gauge Pedersoli and probably adjust upwards the amount of shot. The 10 gauge Pedersoli tends to be cylinder bore and improved modified going from right to left...

Don't, however, start out trying to duplicate the distances and results one would get from a modern magnum shell from a full choked barrel. I think that too many folks out there "push" their BP muzzleloading shotguns too much by trying that. Get a good pattern first, then go from there, would be my advice.

LD

Last edited:
Please don't go off dram equiv loading of cartridges. For a start off cartridges yield better returns than a muzzle loader.
In fact no one would recommend for a muzzleloader 90gn of powder to 1oz of shot unless you really really want a spreader load!
I have believed for many years that shotgun chokes came about not to increase range but to overcome blown patterns from heavy charges of black powder in cartridges to increase range!

Regards "kick" I can't tell the difference, and I should know. Check my portfolio out.

100 grain of 1f, 2 over powder cards, 1-1/2 oz of #2 ITX 10, 15 grain of buffer, 1 overshot card. Kills Canada geese out to 40yrds. Both barrels loaded the same.

Back