• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ohio BP "Coyote" Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you turn the volume up on that call a little :idunno: I can't hear it way down here in Ten-o-c :blah: :grin: :v

Them jaybird started showin up here in western Ohio in the mid-late 70's, shortly before the beaver also moved in. As an aspiring young trapper back then, these new species garnered alot of attention. Of course all the armchair quarterbacks suddenly started killin 50lb coyotes and 80lb beavers. As a hunter ed instructor, i felt it my duty to get the facts straight. So for 3 years i weighed every 'yote and beaver i shot or caught. That span would be in the early 80's My averages are still writin on the furshed wall. Female 'yotes, 28lb, males, 33lb, and beavers came in at 42lb. My largest 'yote to date came in at 46lb, 1 of only 6 i've killed over the 40lb mark. BTW, in those 35 years, i've only seen 2 black 'yotes and was fortune enough to kill one. And, it took me 4 yrs to get him. I've heard the same story/research about possible crosses with eastern wolves and the idea may have justification. Maybe 20% of our 'yotes here are red, almost like a fox. In the videos i watch, it would appear that the western strains are a bit shorter in the legs than ours as well. Enough for now!

What's the best time of day for hunting yotes. I called one in last Saturday morning. It was headed to town. It started coming in to my call, got distracted by some pheasants. But when the pheasants got away I used the "kissing" call and it got within 35 yards when I shot. Although hit, it got away. I can hunt 24/7 until February 15th and then it will be sunrise to sundown.

Most coyotes here in Massachusetts seem to be taken by deer hunters as an incidental target. I shot a nice one a number of years ago that weighed forty six pounds.

Dang that sounds great Jeff. :thumbsup: Thanks for the reply. I can see how that would bring em' in. :wink:

That works great! I was just now watching your video, with the sound on of course. My dog came flying into the room when you were calling.

Back