• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Being 'pushed' to modern weapons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As was mentioned you can also try to get a hold of a NMLRA (National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association) representative in your state.

Muzzle Blasts (the NMLRA magazine) shows the following for North Carolina:

David C. Miller, Burnsville, 828-682-9840
Samuel K. Everly, Stony Point, 704-585-2533
Buck Buchanan, Fayetteville, 910-977-6200

I hardly know what to say to you ST, but you have my condolences.

It just seems incredible to me that you have public lands on which you can hunt, but not target shoot. How is that possible? :shake:

I'm surrounded by hundreds of thousands of square acres of land where I can do all the shooting and hunting I want and also live within five minutes of a range where you can shoot anything you can carry.

Although I live in Canada I'm an American and this sort of thing just makes me sad. What the heck is going on?

Shortbow,
Does that also mean the shooting of flaming Liberals??? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

If the manure hits the fan one day, Canada is where we are heading to.

Cheers, DonK

"If the manure hits the fan one day, Canada is where we are heading to."

Don, We'd be happy to have you, but, as a US expatriot since '75, really, really do your homework first.
Paul

Surrender my friend. Get some single action pistols, enjoy them and, don't look back. :thumbsup:

All I can suggest is keep looking around.

I'm in a similar situation. West of town is a huge swath of land owned by the Plum Creek timber company that is run by the Fish & Game. Due to slob shooters, as others have mentioned before, the area is now closed to target shooting.

East of town was my second shooting area, which was Plum Creek but recently sold to the state, Forest Service, and the Nature Conservancy. Went out there to do some shooting last month to find a big sign stating that the area was closed to target shooting, camping, and off-road vehicles. I'm hoping this was only due to the fire danger and not a permanent closure, but only time will tell :idunno:

There are two ranges in the area, I can't afford the private one and the public one doesn't allow BP. On top of that, its a 45 minute drive and I don't feel like paying $5 each time to sit shoulder-to-shoulder with folks sighting in their rifles when I'm out shooting for fun.

On the bright side, when I move next year I will have unlimited access to my father-in-law's personal 300 yard range behind the barn, so that removes most of my concerns :grin: :haha:

There are two ranges in the area, I can't afford the private one and the public one doesn't allow BP. On top of that, its a 45 minute drive and I don't feel like paying $5 each time to sit shoulder-to-shoulder with folks sighting in their rifles when I'm out shooting for fun.

I just have to know why BP isn't allowed. Is this an indoor or outdoor range?

Sorry to hear of your problem . But its not just you , but many others who are in the same boat. The suggestions given here should lead to a solution. As Mike says its too bad that a few "slobs" can screw things up for everyone , but I,ve seen the results of their failure to pick-up after themselvs in several different states. One of the big reasons I choose to live here in far west TX. is we still enjoy the simple freedoms that were common in most areas 50+ years ago. Don,t give -up just keep on checking and I,m certain you,ll find a solution soon. :thumbsup:

I looked into it for our county range, which is an inside range, and learned that the actual rule is no loose powder: you can shoot metalic cardridges loaded with black powder or use the pellets of the sub powders, but you can't have any loose powder like in a horn or can or paper cartridges. They claim its an explosion hazard. :cursing: (Of COURSE it's an explosion hazard, its GUNPOWDER!! DuH!!) :youcrazy:

That stinks.

Here in rural No. California, yep Yreka, the real No. California. We have a range, 20 bucks a year and shoot what you want!

There's a county range, but they will only allow BP substitutes, no real BP.

The range is owned by the county? Have you asked why BP is banned. That doesn't seem to make sense to me.

The LaFayette LongRifles are near Fuquay Varina which is not too far from you. They host the NC State Shoot ( last month ) You can Google LaFayette
LongRifles and pull up their web site that has contact information and a range calendar.

mcsteinscamp said:
All I can suggest is keep looking around.

I'm in a similar situation. West of town is a huge swath of land owned by the Plum Creek timber company that is run by the Fish & Game. Due to slob shooters, as others have mentioned before, the area is now closed to target shooting.

East of town was my second shooting area, which was Plum Creek but recently sold to the state, Forest Service, and the Nature Conservancy. Went out there to do some shooting last month to find a big sign stating that the area was closed to target shooting, camping, and off-road vehicles. I'm hoping this was only due to the fire danger and not a permanent closure, but only time will tell :idunno:

On the bright side, when I move next year I will have unlimited access to my father-in-law's personal 300 yard range behind the barn, so that removes most of my concerns :grin: :haha:

Nature Conservancy is not a pro hunting organization....That may have something to do with it. (neither are a lot of the so called "sportsmans" clubs, but they sucker hunters into the fold thinking they are supporting hunting... There is one that is supported by the union I belong to, claims pro hunting... Ya, until you realize they only want legal hunting allowed on their land and no handgun possession at all...)

I have heard that the State has shut down much of what used to be open shooting land in Washington as well. Can't blame them, I find all kinds of appliances packed up for targets, apple boxes of shotgun hulls and such in the areas... :idunno:

ST,
I live near Sanford; it takes me 30 min to get to Cary if that gives you any idea how far away we are.
I get back CONUS in the spring. I have a 50yd range at the house that you are welcome to use once I get home. It isn't much, but you can shoot real BP, AK47s, laser guns, whatever you want. If I had a bobcat I would push it to about 80yds, but that's neither here nor there. It's not a professional range, but the price is right (free).
Send me a PM if you are interested.

You'll have to re-define flaming liberal if you come up here. Our right wing flies a little left of your left. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

joining a club is sometimes a challenge but how else can you maintain and protect rights that are important to you. i joined a club and went one day to shoot. found the range closed as they were holding an open house. asked if they had any BPs doing demos. NO ok can i set up and show some folks what it is about. here are a half dozen targets come on. let several people fire my rifle and made friends of the range officers for all the BP shooters who fallow. GET INVOLVED OR ALL THAT MATTERS WILL GO THE WAY OF THE DODO

Folks: Let's leave politics out of our discussions.
Even with laughing or winking or giggling faces, the subject contributes nothing, pisses off some people and generally speaking is against the forum policies.

Back