• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol for hunting deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to Colorado! I guess I really shouldn’t say that because I haven’t been hunting there in 5 or 6 years now. Maybe it’s better.

Swampy,
“Once they got there the Warden introduced himself then one by one asked for each man to show him the chamber of their guns, at which point my friend hung his head and ejected a shell.”

That would most likely cost that fellow his rifle in Colorado and immediately. Providing he was within 50 feet of a road. It is not illegal to have it loaded in camp, however. Unless that has changed lately.

These guys always hunted Maine, it was an annual thing they did and spent a hell of a lot of money doing so (something that seems to be forgotten by a lot of Wardens) and I'm pretty sure he lost his license for at least a year because they ended up looking at and hunting either P.A or Virginia the following year because my buddy couldn't go to Maine.

I guess I'm kind of a fogie on this stuff, but if I don't like the law, I try to change the law rather than getting mad at the guy whose job it is to enforce the laws.

We had a warden around here who was transferred. Not because she did anything wrong, but because she was too good at her job and busted some folks (rightfully) who knew the governor and went whining.

In the process we lost someone who really cared about the resource and did everything her job called for to protect the resource.

I'm not sure of the regs here in NC pertaining to bp pistols but seems they are'nt allowed for deer.
for 'pest/nuisance' species however anything can be used. this would be feral hog or coyote.
I once shot a lay-lite concrete block with my .50 8" bbl caplock it broke it into pieces shooting a lee mold REAL so it does have enough 'whck' to do the job.
I've shot my .45 revolvers enough to know they would to, and have taken a couple wild hog over bait with them.

paulvallandigham said:
For what? Criminal Trespass to land is a misdemeanor, while most hunting violations are petty offenses. An officer is going to be allowed to commit misdemeanors with impunity to make a Possible arrest for a petty offense???

They would be armed with their service weapon would'nt they? In Fl and probably most states armed trespass is a felony.

just sayin.......

Blizzard of 93 said:
I once shot a lay-lite concrete block with my .50 8" bbl caplock it broke it into pieces shooting a lee mold REAL so it does have enough 'whck' to do the job.
I've shot my .45 revolvers enough to know they would to, and have taken a couple wild hog over bait with them.

I dropped a ~200lb sow in her tracks with my Navy .44

There may be different terminology from state to state. Trespassing on open land while armed is not a Felony here in Illinois, but trespassing into an occupied dwelling while armed is called HOME INVASION, and carries a mandatory minimum prison sentence. Here, LEOs are afforded all kind of exemptions from the gun laws. Even in Florida, I doubt you would find a prosecutor who would file charges against an LEO under these facts. :hmm:

I hunted Colorado in 2000&2001. Met a game warden once there and he just was checking us out. No problems at all. I will say one thing though, about states like Colo. They get outdoorsman(sometimes that is used loosly) from all over the country. Many are new hunters and don't know safe gun handling (even though they took a safety course). Many also leave all sense of rules, back when they left home. Along with their marriage liesence, they left behind, when to consume alchol and all manner of law. I would know because I have been to what I would call the "big" hunting states. I can't imagine being a LEO and running into some of these clowns. You can bet,that they have heard and seen it all. One thing a person has to remember is respect for LEO's when you are in the field or anytime. If you have a problem, write down the incident as far as who, time and place and report it. But make sure you are correct when you do it. LEO's are employed by us, to enforce laws and protect our rights. If there is a bad apple, their boss would like to hear about it. If he doesn't want to hear about it, take your issue further up the command chain. No state, wants the wrong people out there abusing their position. It creates threads like this and the area or state pays for it, in money brought in.

There was a time in Ohio, that you could not bowhunt during the gun seasons. As an avid archer, I didn't hunt those season. Then one year, it became legal to bowhunt during the gun seasons. But, you could not have any firearms with you, just your archery equip. I was walking down the road to the fence line I was going to walk in on, when a game warden pulled up behind me. He wanted to know why I was carrying the bow and where was my gun. I then informed him, that it was legal to hunt this year with a bow, but he didn't seem to understand why I hunted with a bow, when I could use a gun. Anyhow, he had me (politely), remove my fanny pack, lay down may bow, place my hands on the hood of his truck and spread them. I got a good frisking down, he found nothing illegal and wished me a good day. I could have been upset by it, but he was doing his part to enforce the laws, that protect wildlife and others. I didn't take offence to it, I found it kind of funny though. I did get nervious though when I was spread eagle and some guy was frisking me. :wink: They could have sent a pretty young thing to do that.

I think our resident attorney, Mr. vallandigham, would have something to say about that search.

Unfortunetly pretty much anyone who shows up for the Safety course passes. I'm not so sure thats a good thing as I have seen some that really shouldn't have been there.

I don't know of any where else but here the *cough* "EP's their called here now instead of CO's, don't really comunicate very well with Fish and Wildlife who make up the rules and reg's. This always seems to lead to problems every year. :shake:

That's the guy who needs to be reported. If the dept. condones his behavior, then a lawsuit needs to be considered. Sometimes, guys, the only time these administrators Listen to anyone is when they are taken to the woodshed by the attorneys assigned to defend them.

I went round and around one day with a Captain in our local DNR office, who didn't like the fact that I was retained to defend a taxidermist in another county, on a wrong charge. I took the case only because the client had been poorly instructed by his prior attorney, and told by the lawyer( now a judge, BTW) that he could continue to practice taxidermy while his case was on appeal. Then the lawyer failed to: 1. file the appeal timely; and 2. Failed to inform the client that the appeal had not been filed, and that he could no longer do taxidermy work.

My client had been wrongly charged and "convicted" in an administrative proceeding for committing offenses, based on the perjury of that one rare officer who was out to get him for personal reasons. My client documented all the dismissals and acquittals of offenses filed by this officer when they both lived in Southern Illinois, that the officer testified my client had been convicted of.

When I settled my client's case, the Court ordered the DNR to return the stuffed shoulder mounts of deer to the owners or to my client, so they could be returned to the owners. I delivered a certified copy of the order to the DNR office, and this Captain. He told me he wasn't going to obey any court order I gave him. We went around on the matter, with me cautioning him that the judge issuing the order was an older man, whose politics were somewhere right of Attila the Hun, and that even the Prosecutors in that County were afraid to appear in his Court. When he persisted, I left and called the prosecutor. He was outraged, thanked me for calling him and asked for me to wait a half hour so he could call this Captain, and then get back to me before I prepared the Petition for Rule to Show Cause to file with our Judge. 20 minutes later he called back, very upset, but assuring me that my client would be permitted to pick up the mounts seized and stored by the DNR. He was livid at the behavior of the Captain, and was going to call the head of the department of police in the main office in Springfield, Il. to report the Captain.

I thanked him, but said, " you should have just let me haul him before Judge__________, and let him learn first hand who controls the keys to the jail."He admitted, " That would be something to see, now, wouldn't it!" but then assured me that his boss, the Elected States Attorney would not be pleased with such a proceeding, because of the political ramifications with Springfield, if the Captain was held in contempt and threatened with jail. I reminded him that private lawyers often can do more to enforce the law than public prosecutors, but I certainly understood his position, and thanked him for his assistance.

That same Captain called me every name in the book when I represented yet another taxidermist, in a different County, who was swept up in a "sting" operation, even though he had done nothing wrong. We went at it again in his office until I pulled his copy of the Illinois Revised Statutes, showed him the paragraph under which my client was charged, and then asked him what the elements of the offense were. The section had contradictory language, and if you used the State's "interpretation", you would have had to arrest every auctioneer, every relative of a deceased hunter who inherited his trophy collection, and most of the antique dealers who had various taxidermied animal mounts for sale.

I challenged him to get his department to write a better statute, if he wanted to prosecute anyone under it. After that, the captain was more cordial to me when I was in the office, as a Hunter-Safety, and Boating Safety Instructor. The "Sting" was reported to have resulted in 51 convictions out of 52 arrests. Guess which case was the result of my work?? A couple of years later, the statute was amended and now makes sense.

Back