• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock hunting rocks!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehepp

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This story starts a couple years back when I found this forum. From reading here I caught the flint bug! I started dreaming of hunting whitetails with a flinter. . . .

Then Last January I purchased a Leman kit from TOTW. I built the rifle and began shooting it over the summer and fall. It took a lot of practice but eventually I felt confident in my accuracy out to 50 yards, a bit more with a rest, and decided to hunt with it this season.

Last Saturday was the start of the WI deer rifle season. I was in my tree before daybreak with my Leman. At around 10:30 I was jolted from a daydream by an approaching deer. A small fork horn was headed right at me from 40 yards. I waited for him to turn and present a good shot but he just came right at me. I began to make noises, grunts, squeaks, I even whistled but I think he was deaf because he just kept coming. At about ten yards, nearly straight down, my nerves had had enough and a bout of buck fever took over. I yanked the trigger so hard that I missed him clean. . . . . . .

The whole camp enjoyed my story and I took the ribbing in stride. Fortunately I was not the only hunter to have a mishap that morning and one of our party had been successful so there was more to talk about over cards that night!

Sunday morning found me back up in my tree with the leman, I was determined to take a deer with it or go home empty. My stubbornness was rewarded at 9:30. A small six point appeared to my right, he stopped about 50 yards out and gave me a broadside shot. It was now or never since he was nearly down wind. I aimed mid body, just behind the front shoulder and squeezed. . . . . KABOOM!
As the smoke cleared I saw him stumble and fall.
I am so proud and happy I could burst, and all of you here on the forum are responsible for it, THANK YOU!!!!! :hatsoff:
DSCF0160.jpg

90 gr. Goex FF, pillow tick patch, .530 ball

Great Story! Nice Looking Deer and Rifle too. What were the other guys in camp using? Did you convert them over to flintlocks?

Im pretty much at the begining of the path that you took a couple of years ago, and am looking forward to the same results.

Hello from Germany,

congrats and Waidmanns Heil. You built a nice rifle there and got a nice deer. :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

That's fantastic...IMO, hunting with a Flintlock is just terrific...congratulations !
:hatsoff:

Excellent! I am excited just reading your story. Hat's off for the added challenge of flintlock ignition, I haven't taken that step yet and have nothing but admiration for those of you who have. I am toying with the idea of taking my .62 flint smoothbore this spring for Turkeys. Congratulations,
Idaho PRB

Idaho PRB said:
"...I am toying with the idea of taking my .62 flint smoothbore this spring for Turkeys.
Don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll just make this comment...you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.
But to be honest, other than keeping your prime fresh, Flintlock technology itself is really no disadvantage in turkey hunting at all...at the time of a shot a turkey head is just a stationary target, like shooting a pine cone.

Now, if you're using a cylinder bore, the challenge becomes one of getting a tom into that 20-25 yard range but that would be the case with any cylinder bore gun...a Jug Choke will get you out to 40 yards on a turkey head

I'll try to make this step asap when getting my flinter (.54 poor boy)built from Roy and hope to get some nice roedeer.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Nice looking deer and rifle! I've started deer hunting this year with my .62 smoothbore and look forward to the day (please Lord) that I get to take a deer with it. Flintlocks are the only way to go. It just feels good carrying it through the woods. Congrats!! :hatsoff:

Good story-great deer- and really nice rifle! Congrats on both. I've never built my own rifle yet, but you guys are really tempting me.Thanks.

Latest posts

Back