• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different caps "now",,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've read and seen some info about different percussion caps effect on accuracy, velocity and reliability. According to "Remington" the "new" #10's and 11's are "40% hotter". Than what I do not know. Then there is CCI Magnum and "regular". I was bored, curious and felt like shooting. I used CCI #11 magnum and Remington #11 "40 % hotter" in the same rifles with the same loads. My chronograph didn't show a difference and neither did my groups. Depending on the rifle, one seemed to fit better than the other on specific nipples, but they each worked. I noticed the CCI is a slightly rounded cup while the Remington is really flat. Anyway, does anyone actually see a difference with the most recent percussion caps?

No cap is going to affect accuracy unless it fails to go off!

The important things are firstly fit and then the fact it explodes. The rest is just cobblers.

I've read and seen some info about different percussion caps effect on accuracy, velocity and reliability. According to "Remington" the "new" #10's and 11's are "40% hotter". Than what I do not know. Then there is CCI Magnum and "regular". I was bored, curious and felt like shooting. I used CCI #11 magnum and Remington #11 "40 % hotter" in the same rifles with the same loads. My chronograph didn't show a difference and neither did my groups. Depending on the rifle, one seemed to fit better than the other on specific nipples, but they each worked. I noticed the CCI is a slightly rounded cup while the Remington is really flat. Anyway, does anyone actually see a difference with the most recent percussion caps?
The the whole purpose of a percussion cap is to ignite the load, I would have no expectations that there would any difference in the POI or velocity. That's what the gunpowder is for. As long as the caps reliably ignite the charge (their job) then the product would be acceptable.

Can't see where it would make a difference unless a particular cap didn't fit proper causing a possible small hang fire. If they go off proper and it is the proper nipple it should make little to no difference.

I've used several brands of caps and they have all functioned as they are supposed to. I get the cci #11 caps mostly because they seem to be the one's available here. If I had to get another cap brand I'd get them and not complain.

Depending on the firearm, caps can make a difference. I have a light bench rifle and at 100yds it went from shooting 10's to 8's and 7's just by going from CCI regular caps to CCI Magnum caps. The bad news is that it was in the middle of a match

All the bench shooters I know won't unpack their gear if they left their caps at home and the same ones aren't available.

I popped a half dozen regular cci caps on a shotgun. Was walking back to pull the load, a guy handed me a tin of cci magnum caps. Both barrels went off with 1 cap apiece. I'm convinced magnum caps do make a difference.

Back