• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MVTC Fowler first impressions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rebel said:
How do you leave the muzzle pointed down without jamming it into the dirt with a gun that is as tall as you are? :grin:

:rotf: This gun is almost as tall as me. I have to stand on tiptoes to look down at the muzzle.

I don't think his dog is loose enough to flip into position if he did angle the gun down, but again, have only seen it one day, and only fired it about 2 times myself.

Rebel said:
How do you leave the muzzle pointed down without jamming it into the dirt with a gun that is as tall as you are? :grin:

I don't consider a gun with a 52" barrel to be long. :winking:
deatton10.jpg

I've never shot that particular gun, but I've shot other guns with 60" barrels they hold and handle fine. :thumbsup:
I've got a 72" barrel I'd like to have in a piece of wood and finished by june 2006 Friebdship.

Did the price of this New England Fowler just go up? I could have sworn that the price was $525.00 a week ago when I first looked at it. It is now $595.00. Still not a bad price though. I can't decide if I want this fowler or the English doglock musket being offered by "The Discriminating General." I can't decide. Anyone have any experience with The Discriminating General? I know that their touchholes are not drilled.

No, it has been $595 since they started carrying it. Still thinking about one myself. They are kinda neat lookin'.

Okay guys.....I've been away from the forum for awhile. But I've put hundreds of rounds through my MVTC Fowler now....so I'll try and answer some of the most recent questions:

1. It is easy setting to dog catch with one hand once you learn how. Now, I'm trying to recall this process while at work...but...Rotate your right hand so that the thumb points downward....then pull the cock back with two fingers while pushing the dog forward with your thumb, all in one easy montion. Yes, you are probably used to pulling the cock back with your thumb on a normal flintlock. IT'S EASY with one hand and it becomes second nature quickly. It makes normal flinters seem odd to cock with your thumb.

2. The trigger pull is not nearly as heavy on mine as I expected it to be. Use the lower portion.

3. I use .67 balls cast in a 28 year old Dixie hair straightner mold and .018" Walmart ticking. I have used the same balls with 14 ga cards though. Mine has a .701" bore at the muzzle. Using undersize balls and heavy patching means I can shoot 100 rounds and never swab the bore. It's big lead plinking heaven!
I've also used cards with #5 shot....it patterns nicely at 25 yards. And used cards with a buck and ball load.....WOW!!!! Works well with paper cartridges also.

4. You think it has a slow lock time? IT IS A 7.5" long lock plate and A GIGANTIC COCK.....what did you expect?? Has to be one of the biggest locks on any commercial gun out there. I'm using Fuller 1 1/18" wide flints. But black 1" flints work fine.

5. The constant use and occasional rewipe with lemon juice has given the metal a lovely "used but not abused" look. I wipe the brass with fouled cleaning patches now and then just to keep the patina nice.
Although, I recently aged a new shiney knife blade very nicely by wrapping it with wet tooling leather for a couple of hours. It added some pattern to the patina....then wiped with lemon juice.

6. The Fowler balances very very well.
The stock shape is exactly the reason I purchased it over many others. And once I got used to the 51" barrel, my other guns seem puny. In fact, I have shot nothing but the Fowler since it arrived....I like it that much!

7. There are no spare rods available. Ramrod blanks come in 48" lengths max....so you have to make your own spares. I use a spiral worm and tow or rag for cleaning with the supplied rod.

8. By way of precaution, splice two 1/2" wood rods together and add a normal 1/2 Brass rod end so you can put normal attachments on if need be. I've not needed it, but it comes in handy as a range rod.

9. I clean it by plugging the touch hole and pouring warm water down the bore....shake, pour out, rinse and repeat until clean water comes out.
Dry with tow or cloth....oil. Cleanup time on this gun is absolutely minimal. I pull the lock and wipe it down it at the same time...takig care to clean the pan and frizzen hinging.

10. My touch hole was drilled a little low for my tastes....but it never failed to fire. I did lower the pan bottom anyway....although I have noticed no difference after doing so.

11. After well over 800 shots, my frizzen started to spark less. No more huge shower of sparks.
I emailed Pete at MVTC, sent him the frizzen, he had it back to me within like 5 days, huge shower of sparks again. It seems that some of the frizzens out of India don't get hardened as well as others. But MVTC takes care of the lock for the life of it....as long as you don't abuse it.

12. I have yet to be shooting the MVTC Fowler at my club range and failed to get compliments on it. People love it! I mean long time ML shooters, builders, etc. It just gets compliments when they see it, when they shoulder it, when they shoot it. I'm extremely pleased and proud to own one.

13. I took photos the other day....Sorry, I didn't have my pouch & horn and full Clark's Company regalia on atthe time. Here are a couple photos.
Jack

MVTC_12-28-05_shooting_4.jpg
MVTC_12-28-05_shooting_3.jpg

Jack, have you had a chance to shoot it off a bench yet to see what kind of groups it will produce? Do you think a bare .690 rd ball with wads would work in it? I am still considering one of them, but hate the idea of not being able to get that LONG barreled thing in my gun safe. :grin: So, all and all it sounds like you are really happy with yours. When you say the trigger pull isn't too bad, what do you mean? 8-10 lb trigger pull? More-Less? Any further info and remarks would be appreciated. Thanks. Take care.

Jack. Thanks for ALL the info. from the start. I was already thinking of purchasing one. Now I will. It must be fun with that hugh lock and that flat top frizzen !!! :grin:

Rebel said:
Jack, have you had a chance to shoot it off a bench yet to see what kind of groups it will produce? Do you think a bare .690 rd ball with wads would work in it? When you say the trigger pull isn't too bad, what do you mean? 8-10 lb trigger pull? More-Less?
Nope....I have not shot it from a bench. Every time I mean to, I end up just plinking away and having fun with it. I have used a post as a rest on ocassion....but mostly just shoot it offhand. The hardest part for me in getting consistant groupings is shooting something without a rear sight. I added a rear sight to my Charville decades ago. The fowler is totally different for me. The more I shoot it, the more I get used to it though. Be easier for shotgunners to get used to.
I'm sure a bare .690 ball with wads will work in the bore. My bore mic's .701 at the muzzle. I just use undersize balls and heavy patches for ease of loading, amd no leading worries. Although I am told that I would not need to worry about bore leading, I'd rather use patched undersize balls.
I doubt the trigger pull on mine is anything approaching 8-10 pounds. It seems about the same as my Navy Arms Charleville that I've shot for 27 years now. I had expected some massively heavy pull....mine is not. Okay, it isn't the "touch-it" set trigger on my Tennessee....but it ain't overly heavy either. You get used to it quickly.
Jack

ricky said:
It must be fun with that hugh lock and that flat top frizzen !!! :grin:
FIRST THING TO DO.......use a dremel and just touch the top pointy edges of that flat frizzen! Those damn flat points will poke your hand!!!! I just touched a sanding drum to the point on each side of the flat top to take the point off. Seriously, they are sharp and hardened....round 'em off a tad. I actually cut myself on the frizzen edge points before I just touched the points off.
But man oh man...there ain't nothing like it..that massive lock, the 51" long barreled big smooth bore, It's my all-time favorite.
And you walk up with it at the club range and just grin at all those puny girlie-man guns with "normal" barrels. The Plains, and Hawkins, Golden Agers, and even my little .36 Mowery is only half the size of the MVTC Fowler. But it takes a real man to ram a patched ball down a muzzle that is higher than his eyeballs! :grin:
Jack

Jack: Thanks for the tip about the sharp frizzen corners :shocked2: And, thanks for your continueing updates. Can't wait to get mine. Rick.

Back