• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch oven chocolate cobbler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have done several peach cobbler in my dutch oven and I am wanting to try a chocolate cobbler and u don't know how it would turn out just curious to see what yall have to say and any advice thanks

Agreed as if you burn the chocolate, it's very tough to get out of a steel pan.., so more so I should think getting it off cast iron....is it not more porous than steel?

It may also depend on what the filling is to be, when done?

I mean if you are going for a sort of very damp brownie that's going to be different than a chocolate soufflé, and both are different than what I imagined when you wrote "chocolate cobbler".

I envisioned a sort of thick, chocolate pudding for filling, topped with a brown, lattice crust.

:idunno:

You might get away with making chocolate pudding, then pouring it into the Dutch oven, which was preheated to about the same temp as the pudding. Then very quickly cover with the crust and place the Dutch oven lid on top, and ONLY put coals on the lid, to brown the crust.

I'd try it with a round, aluminum, disposable casserole pan inside the oven first. If it doesn't burn then maybe try it in the naked Dutch oven.

LD

I got a recipe off you tube that calls for cherry pie filling and lemon lime soda. They used aluminum foil as a liner I am thinking about trying it sat. Thanks

In the day what we call Dutch ovens were sometimes called bake kettles. They were used by putting a separate pan/container in the kettle, but sitting on a trivet or something to raise it off the bottom of the kettle. The kettle was literally being used like a little oven, and the food never actually touched it. Much easier to control and prevent burning, especially when cooking sweet things, which burn very easily.

Spence

Back