• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cost to have a gun built?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooter76

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I really want a Brown Bess reproduction and have eyed TOW's offering, but I've never built a gun and understand the lock on the Bess can be a gripe for beginners. I'm not looking for a show gun as anything I own will see a lot of range use (I may even try hunting with it), but I do want it to be properly built and reliable.

Can anyone offer up some names of builders and give me an idea of what I'd be looking at cost-wise to have it built?

understand the lock on the Bess can be a gripe for beginners.

The Pedersoli kit does require some fitting. If you are crafts/tool handy it is a doable project with care. Some reading on the subject of building can be very helpful also.
The lock is no different essentially than any other flint lock. Except, it is big and the mainspring very strong. Stupidity with yer finger in front of that flint can injure you seriously.

You might look at some of the custom-built Besses that Track has for sale too. The difference between those and the parts set price ought to give you a feel for the cost to have one built for you. Some people might charge more than that spread though. The advantage to buying one that's already built is you get to look at it first, and take immediate possession. The advantage to contracting someone to build it for you is that you get examine the wood first, (or better still, pick it out yourself), and make a few modifications here and there if that be your wish.

Unless you really want an authentic early Pattern Bess, the expense of having TOW's 1746 kit built into a gun will be daunting, to say the least.

If you are mainly going to be shooting the gun and are not reenacting the FIW period or early AWI, then I second the suggestion you look at the completed Pedersoli full length musket OR their Carbine version. I used the Carbine version to compete back in the 70's and though I did not hunt with it, it would have been a great gun to hunt deer with. I never got a good shot load with it for "flying targets," but did just OK with it on clay pigeons. Of course, there was no access to a forum like this for some great information on getting a good shot load. The Carbine barrel length is also better for game birds as it is far easier to swing.

I did trade my old Carbine off when I got back into AWI reenacting around 2000. So, IF you think you may be wanting to do that in the future, then the full length Pedersoli is a MUCH better choice than the carbine.

Gus

Mike Brooks is one of the kit builders I would recommend. He does nice work.

You might be shocked at the cost to "assemble".

His rates, which are more than reasonable are $900 plus the cost of the kit to produce an "in the white rifle" - so you will get NOTHING more then putting together the kit and the finishing to the point of where YOU will stain/seal the stock, treat the metal work (blue or brown).

For a "finished rifle" (stained, browned/blued) it is $1100 plus the cost of the kit.

Then you get into the "options":

Options:
Carving around the barrel tang and lock panels: $300.00 and up.
Carving behind the cheek piece: $250.00 and up.
Butt stock and fore stock mouldings: $150.00 and up.
Wood box cover : $250.00
2 piece metallic box : $250.00
4 piece metallic box : $400.00 and up.
Set triggers : $50.00
Coin silver or brass thumb piece : $35.00and up.
Export engraved lock : $150.00
Engraved borders on a Fowler's butt plate, trigger guard and
side plate : $150.00 and up.
Engraved foliage or hunting scene on butt plate, trigger guard
and side plate : $250.00 and up.

So even for a bare bones basic gun you can count on dropping 2K.

And Mike is priced as fair as anyone else who would put together a kit for you.

Those prices sound high until you try doing the work yourself. Then you realize why custom guns cost what they do!There is no short cuts to quality work! :idunno: :idunno:

Most people have NO CLUE how much work a gunsmith puts into making a gun.

Actually, I find that's true with just about everything hand made. Many people expect virtually everything to be done by just pushing a button, and in five minutes, "ding", out it pops from a machine. There's no comprehension of hand work.

As was said...buy a Pedersoli. Known price, short wait and unless you're very critical asre the details of a Bess, it'll do fine.

Shopping around for a builder and then determining a price can be tricky. Many of the well known builders don't want the work because their delivery times are way out there...and hiring a hobby builder can sometimes become a disaster......Fred

There's a fella on this forum who might be able to help you....Tom knight builds some nice and affordable rifles and fowlers send him a p.m.

That is a smart suggestion.

Tom has been building since the mid 70s and he has learned a thing or two about building Working guns in that time.

In addition to knowing how to build guns you wont find a person more generous with knowledge then Tom.

Scooter...Buy the best kit you can afford..send it to a good builder to have then assemble it to in the white condition..Final finish it yourself...You will have some skin in the game and have a solid gun forever...Just saying....Dan

builders I have had good results from...
Steve Losley,Roy stroh...
hope this helps.

ohio ramrod said:
Those prices sound high until you try doing the work yourself. Then you realize why custom guns cost what they do!

Amen.

You always hear the number "100 hours" for building a gun. At $1100 for that one, you're talking $11 and hour for labor.

Would you do great professional work for minimum wage? :haha: Zezz a whole lot about the dedication of our skilled professional builders.

You usually get what you pay for, but in this case $1100 sounds like a terrific bargain. I'd wanna see lots of examples from anyone quoting less.

The TOW Bess has a lock that needs to be assembled,hardened,etc... That alone will cost quite a bit.

$11 and hour for labor.

Not to get tooooo far off topic but I have started to think on the home economics of building MLs/ML parts. At first blush the wages seem meager but when you compare it to other endevours it starts to seem smart. $11/hr is slim but i think it is a better deal than it first appears.

11 dollars an hour in your home, with no overhead costs doing work that is not hurting you is not a bad deal. 100 dollars cash money a day----- 1800 or 2400 dollars a month. No need to live close to employment centers, no need to maintain a commuting vehicle, no unpaid dead time traveling,no major grief or stress (live longer), flexible hours (care for family).......

11 dollars at walmart is abject soul crushing slavery but in a home shop it might be a different can of worms.

I never managed to save much (or buy much) when i was billing 115/hr and running the race. I suspect not racing might be a lot cheaper!

sorry for the off topic just wanted to balance things for the guy who might be considering starting to put in more hours with file and chisel.

colorado clyde said:
For a newbie, I would recommend a Perdersoli finished....probably cheaper and a whole lot les headaches...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pedersoli-Brown-Bess-Musket/740533.uts

Although I don't recommend Cabelas..

I built my Ped. BB from a Navy Arms kit. There was a problem completing the drilling of the ram rod hole. Fitting the butt plate was a bear and I farmed that out. Browning (yes, I browned it.) was splotchy. I never fixed that, might one day, 40 years after the fact. :shocked2: :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnN said:
The TOW Bess has a lock that needs to be assembled,hardened,etc... That alone will cost quite a bit.

Quite right. Ten years ago (the last time I checked) the cost was around $ 200.00 or more to have the lock parts turned into a working lock. I do not know how much the current cost is and no doubt it is higher. So at a minimum, this needs to be added to the before mentioned $ 900.00.

Gus

I would say that if you furnish the kit and have it finished for you, you will be looking at something in the range of $1,000 at a minimum on up for someone who will do a good job for you. But, know your builder because there are some people out there who will say that they will build it for you and then you end up with a poorly done job and it will look like manure. A skilled craftsman who will do the job right is going to cost you a few bucks more that the unskilled person but it will be worth it. Like anywhere else, you will get what you pay for.

Latest posts

Back