• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short squirrle hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradCayton

40 Cal
Reaction score
I was able to get out with my trade gun for a squirrel hunt today. This is one of my favorite times of the year. Big game season's over and you pretty much have the woods all to yourself.

I was heading off the hill and decided to pull the shot and load a PRB and see if I could still hit with her. There's a clay bank I shoot into at the foot of the hill. Was just about out of the woods and saw this fella at what turned out to be 23 paces. Figured I'd try for a head shot or it would be a clean miss.

I'd hoped to take a deer with my tradegun this year but didn't get to hunt because of work. She shoots a PRB better than I can hold though and does very well with shot. Hard to beat the versatile smoothbore!

Mercy me! I surely do miss squirrel hunting since we moved from Indiana.

Nice shot! Nice gun! Nice bag! Nice! Nice! Nice! I'm jealous.

Why did you stop with one squirrel? One squirrel doesn't feed many people.....unless you make a lot of potatoes and gravy to go with him. :haha:

Thanks fellas.

Billnpatti,

Kind of hard to see but there's 2 in the first picture and then another one that I shot with the RB. A total of 3. I had quit at 2 because I'm the only one who eats em but had to try for the head shot on number 3. :grin:

Good shooting. :hatsoff:
Yep, versatile is the word to describe a good smoothbore, mind if I ask who built it and what gauge it is.

Dick Lane said:
Good shooting. :hatsoff:
Yep, versatile is the word to describe a good smoothbore, mind if I ask who built it and what gauge it is.

It's a .62, Chiefs grade, kit from North Star West that I put together.

Deputy Dog said:
Congratulations Brad, well done. Its a good thing you made a head shot on that last one or there wouldn't be much left to pick up. A .62 caliber ball makes a big hole.......robin :bow:

It does indeed! :grin:

Thanks again fellas

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you had a great day. :hatsoff:

It is nice this time of year when the woods are pretty much quiet and sans the crowds.

I have one of those canvas shooters bags as well and they work great with smoothies. Nice array of pockets for components.

I haven't run a round ball through my .62 fowler yet, I sure hope I can learn to shoot it as well as you shoot your trade gun!!!! :hatsoff:

creek

Spikebuck said:
Looks like you had a great day. :hatsoff:

It is nice this time of year when the woods are pretty much quiet and sans the crowds.

I have one of those canvas shooters bags as well and they work great with smoothies. Nice array of pockets for components.

I like all the pockets in that bag. I'm able to keep my OP and OS wads in the front pockets and much quicker to get to. I do tend to take too much stuff with me with a bag this size though. :wink:

Creek said:
I haven't run a round ball through my .62 fowler yet, I sure hope I can learn to shoot it as well as you shoot your trade gun!!!! :hatsoff:

creek

It's more the gun than me. It fits me well and does great as long as I do my part. :grin:

Thanks for the kind words guys

Back