• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What oil do I use to make moosemilk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What oil is best to use to make moosemilk and where can I find it. I was talking with one of the guys from the Vernonia Muzzleloaders here in Oregon, and he showed me a bottle of Sta Lube water soluble oil that he uses to make moosemilk.

I tried to find it in local hardware and auto parts stores but had no luck.

What you you folks suggest?

Larry

Moose milk is some of the best cleaning solution there is for muzzleloaders. The formula that we use in my shooting group is:

1/3 Rubbing alcohol
1/3 Hydrogen Peroxide
1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap.

Mixed in equal part it does wonders and is CHEAP to make. I make my batches a gallon at the time!

Keep your powder dry!

Bryon said:
OK dumb question....what is moose milk?

It is a cleaning/lubing solution most shooters make up themselves.
Take a look at the stars on a clear night sometime. That will give you an idea of how many different formulas there are for moose milk.
Usually the mixes (milky white, BTW) contain Murphy's Oil, water soluable oil and other secret ingredients that have had chants done over them by a shaman during full moon.

As per "Dutche's" instructions I use Ballistol. He used to suggest Naps but switched. Geo. T.

Bryon said:
ok...so usually just use some water with dishsoap in a bottle to clean between shots.....this is better?

In this game, saying "better" or "best" is the start of a firestorm. :shocked2:
It works and it works just fine. Cleaning an ml is not a mysterious event, just requires some time and elbow grease. :doh: Uh-Oh! Now someone will want to know where to get that elbow grease. :wink:
Do like the rest of us. Try everything you hear about and begin a lifelong quest for the "best".

Rifleman1776 said:
Bryon said:
ok...so usually just use some water with dishsoap in a bottle to clean between shots.....this is better?

In this game, saying "better" or "best" is the start of a firestorm. :shocked2:
It works and it works just fine. Cleaning an ml is not a mysterious event, just requires some time and elbow grease. :doh: Uh-Oh! Now someone will want to know where to get that elbow grease. :wink:
Do like the rest of us. Try everything you hear about and begin a lifelong quest for the "best".

I was watching This Old House and they backed up a Van with 55gal barrels of "Elbow Grease". You will have to call them to find out where it came from :rotf:

I totally agree with you...thats half the fun of muzzleloading! ive already learned that there is no true "BEST" but hey i made some of stumps...moose snot and i had a blast doing it ....my landlord wasnt to happy though...apparently she could smell it cooking.? freaking old bat needs to hurry up and go to a nursing home lol :) (shes really nice in real life) Anyhow....i cant wait to try it out. So i guess f water and dish soap work best ...then use it ...or if its moose snot with a pinch of bat wing ...then hey that works too...ya know ...it all releavnt in the end ..and besides....now i ahve enough snot to last me about 2 years !!

Back