• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Example of short barreled Smothbores?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor62

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a couple of smoothbore barrels that I'd like to build into usable flintlock guns but their only 26" long. I'm looking for ideas as to what type of gun I could try to emulate.
I need some pictures of short barreled smoothbores please...

Thanks in advance.

Mine isn't that short, it is 31". Personally, I stay away from short barreled shotguns or rifles of any kind. The blast is too close to the ears and, literally, deafening. But, do wat floats yer stick. BTW, I ordered a 36" barrel, it came 31". Go figger.
fowler-1.jpg

This musket has a 16 1/2” length of pull so you can tell by looking it is not a long gun.
Mulegun2.jpg

Both of these are guns I hunt with.
tackr1.jpg

tacksL2.jpg

I hope this helps.
William Alexander

Two that are a bit longer is the best I can do for ya. First is a Caywood 12 ga english game gun with a 30 inch barrel
003-3.jpg

And this one is a 12 ga english smoothbore with a colerain 32 in oct to round barrel. Hope these might help ya a little
Achilles12gaenglishflintlock035.jpg

I like short, handy guns. In fact my next project is to get a 20ga NSW "canoe" gun kit with a 20" barrel.

Razor,

What kind of barrels, do you have? Round, octagon, oct to. Round? How big is the breech? Swamped, tapered, flared?
This information can help you get better suggestions

Sorry, no photo, but I have a trade musket that resembles Tinker's, but flint and about 19" barrel. I made it for shooting from horseback. I hunt with it and find both groups: ball and shot are not much less than when it is full length: 50 yards with the ball; 20 yards with shot. I tuck it barrel down into my mountain man belt like a very long pistol! It's .63 and my common load is 70 gr powder with ball or equivalent amount of shot. I find the blast not too bad. Good luck

I have a NW trade gun in 20ga that has a 24" barrel, it is light, fast and handy in thick brush, I have taken alot of small game with it and a moose. I also have a brown bess carbine .72 cal. with a 31" barrel, heavy gun to pack all day but it has worked very well on big and small game.
BootsandBags2010017.jpg

August102008005.jpg

Cynthialee said:
That second gun you show is pretty nifty looking.

Thanks I do enjoy using it; it’s a fun gun to use. Now I guess I should make one in flint one of these days.

William Alexander

Thanks for all of the feedback folks! Keep it coming I find it inspiring! :grin:

Capt. I've got a few modern (cartridge) shotgun barrels which I intend on breeching and converting to flint. Some of them were never chambered or reamed to full bore diameter which means that it'll be relatively simple to install breech plugs and there's no choke to impede a round ball. Two measure .570 and the other two are .670 bore.(If I remember correctly.)All are 26" in length.

The British Army considered a 16 gauge ball to be the size ball of their carbines. Your barrels are short enough and small caliber enough to make into British Army carbine copies. The nice thing about the British Army carbines is that there were several different sizes and shapes depending on who ordered the lot and when. The Bess used by line troops was pretty much standardized from model to model.

Many Klatch

Rifleman1776 said:
Ye shoot with tack heads against yer cheek? :shocked2:
Ouch!

Good point but my cheek does fit in front of the tacks.
Tacks can be a problem with long hair and or whiskers.

William Alexander

Capt. Jas. gives good advice, especially if you want to be correct for the 18th century. There were some short guns, but getting it right is tricky. Many cut-down guns were done so crudely; other short guns have a completely different barrel profile from a modern shotgun - a blunderbuss, for example.

That said, here's mine - not necessarily historically correct, but fun:

P7270784.jpg

It has a 26" bbl. in 16 ga. "Sweet William" Douglas built it for ChuckPA, and I traded him for it years ago. It "could" be a trade gun, an oddball carbine, or just fun.

Latest posts

Back