• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scrapper??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a T/C Powder Chamber Scrapper. Is this worth getting or is it just a waste of money?

I use one all the time in flat-breech barrels (breaks up the crud from the face and corners) but I never used one and don't own one to fit my T/C parabolic ("patent") breeches. I'd say unnecessary due to the shape.

I have had several T.C.s and never used a scraper for mine. But I have made scrapers for other people who thought they need them. :idunno: :idunno: I personally don't think they are neccesary. :idunno:

I have all TC rifles. Have couple of the TC scrappers, but don't use them very often. A while ago Roundball posted that over all the years he had been using TC rifles, he found if you are cleaning with warm water it wasn't needed. I have found he is right.

If I didn't have a scraper I would not know a maching burr had been left in the breech of a new fowler I had built. I think the occasional use of one can help discover problems you might not have suspected.

Rat Trapper said:
I have all TC rifles. Have couple of the TC scrappers, but don't use them very often. A while ago Roundball posted that over all the years he had been using TC rifles, he found if you are cleaning with warm water it wasn't needed. I have found he is right.
Yes, definitely no need for them in barrels having a Patent Breech design breechplug...never used a breech-face scraper...or a vent pick for that matter. By choice, all my barrels have today's Patent Breech design breechplugs

We've hit this well so now I'll offer up a suggestion: Get a worm and wad up a damp patch and put it in ahead of the worm and then work it opposite to the worm tines, and then reverse direction so the tines grab the patch. I have found this to clean the breech well, gets into the sharp corners better than a patch on a jag, and pulls out a lot of crud eliminating the need for as many patches & repetitions of swabbing. Works especially well with tow in place of a patch.

I have worms for everything I shoot.

Underutilized cleaning tool IMHO.

Stumpkiller said:
I use one all the time in flat-breech barrels (breaks up the crud from the face and corners) but I never used one and don't own one to fit my T/C parabolic ("patent") breeches. I'd say unnecessary due to the shape.

Let me first say I do respect you Stump so not trying to demean you in any way.

I must admit I had to look up the word parabolic before I posted to this to make sure I was stating this correctly.

I own a Traditions 50 cal. and had to pull the drum and the breech plug. As most know it is like the picture I see circulated often of the CVA patented breech. Anyway to make a long story short the face of the breech plug is a parabolic curve. When I pulled mine I was kind of surprised to see a sort of baked on layer of crud. So while having it out and in hand I made a scraper that would fit the parabolic curve of the face of the breech plug. I suppose if you were to block the nipple and fill with solvent you would be able to soak off the crud. However I drop my homemade scraper in their once in a while and turn it a few turns before I solvent the rifle to loosen any build up and then I don't have to wait for to long to get the crud off!

50cal.cliff said:
Stumpkiller said:

Let me first say I do respect you Stump so not trying to demean you in any way.

I must admit I had to look up the word parabolic before I posted to this to make sure I was stating this correctly.

I own a Traditions 50 cal. and had to pull the drum and the breech plug. As most know it is like the picture I see circulated often of the CVA patented breech. Anyway to make a long story short the face of the breech plug is a parabolic curve. When I pulled mine I was kind of surprised to see a sort of baked on layer of crud.

Thank you for the kind preface - but ya don't gotta be so delicate with 'ol Doormat Stumpy.

I have a little "worm" (more like a bug) that T/C sold or sells as a Patch Puller that gets in and cleans the patent breech up. That, and a damp patch wadded up ahead of it, solves any build-up.

22-9010__50341.jpg

"I am looking at getting a T/C Powder Chamber Scrapper. Is this worth getting or is it just a waste of money?"

Well now would the manufacture make an item that was not really needed?, this is hard to believe :shocked2:

Back