• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about deer tallow.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know how it turns out. I'm kind of thinking it might be great for warmer weather.

I took my 2:1 out just before I started on this trip and experimented with how much to put on the patch. I knew when I had too little, cuzz it suddenly blew a patch worse than I've ever seen. Air temp was around 30 degrees, but the lube wasn't too stiff to get the right amount on a patch with a single swipe. But I kinda wonder what it will be like if I use it in temps down in the teens or lower. Might stick some in the freezer and play with that a bit before it warms up. I'm betting 3:1 will be too stiff at or below freezing, but guesses are free.

Tell ya what 3:1 is stiffer but very pliable, don't take much to warm it between the fingers. It's probably closer to what I use now as a bear grease mix. Going to put it in the freezer for a bit then check it. But I'm guessing it probably would be a good conical lube anyway.

Now a conical lube would be something I'd be interested in. This last stuff I made will be interesting to handle. I see a lot of posts about strait Olive Oil. This is basically a thicker variation of Olive Oil caused by the tallow.

Yeah Brownbear after a bit in the freezer the 3:1 is quite stiff, you wouldn't want to try to lube patches with this at cold temps. Don't seem to bad at 70 degrees though.

It might be worth trying it on conicals though.

I look forward to trying this 2:1 mix in my new rifle this coming summer. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what the temp in my freezer is but the mix had hardened only a little bit. It's paste like. This might be a good mix for me in the NW. It was buttery at 70 degrees F and paste like at below freezing. Now only if it shoots good I might have a winner. :hmm:

For accuracy purposes, experiment a bit with how much is enough. Like I said, I kept cutting back on how much I put on the patch till I blew a patch. I don't think there's such a thing as "too much" accuracy-wise, but there sure can be too much when it comes to messes.

Not sure if it will hold water when it comes to best accuracy, but for a visual reference and consistency I started smearing enough on mine to fill the "grain" of the patch. A little of it still smears off around the muzzle when starting the ball, but I can live with that rather than having great gobs of it on the muzzle or blown patches if I don't get enough. Done that way my accuracy is at least as good, and maybe better, than commercial lubed patches.

Well I found a good use for used pill bottles. Put up some 2:1 mix in them.

srdeertallow3.jpg

It's 19 degrees in my freezer according to the meat thermometer. I've been putting them in these food safe containers. (Wife is not going to be happy.) But I have this package of Airline carry-on containers that might work well. They are water tight and come in different configurations. Screw lids, squeeze bottles. Now and if it was just liquid it I could use the pump spray bottle.

PC240104.jpg

PC240105.jpg

I think you get a much better lubed patch if you do them at home, in volume numbers, put them together, and either store them at room temperature over night, or zap them for 10 seconds in the microwave. That helps the lube distribute evenly through the weave, so there are no bare spots. I get much better perfomance from my lubed patches done this way, than when I am lubing them out at the range, or in the field just before loading the gun.

That is how I lube my patches Paul. I carry a tin for a just in case purpose at the range. Let more than one person try it there. Everything else is just for storage. Most of the pill bottles will probably end up traveling through the mail.

I think when I finish up with my bore butter, I might recycle the tube for this lube. I got one of those conical lube thingies that screw onto the bore butter tube.

oooooooooh I like those tins. The ones with the clear tops look pretty cool. Not sure how it will hold up in my ammo box though. :thumbsup:

I just used up the last of my Bore Butter that I bought in a tub. I used the same tub to mix me up some beeswax and bear oil lube that Ol' Sandy Claws sent me for Christmas. I can't wait 'til the next range session. The mix was as directed here and turned out about the same consistancy as the Bore Butter. Maybe a little softer. I had about a tablespoon of goat tallow from another source that I threw into the mix with a squirt of olive oil. Thanks for the recipes on this thread fellas. Good thread!!

Thank you Sandy Claws, you know who ya are!!! :hatsoff:

It was pure white and hard as it was. There was not much of it so I threw it in the mix so's not to waste it. Can't wait to try out this bear oil, beeswax mix. :grin:

Latest posts

Back