• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do smaller calibers foul more?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not had much if an issue with my .36 Tip Curtis rifle. I've run charges of 20-30 gr of fffg Swiss and a dry lube consisting of beeswax/lamb tallow/canning wax without any problems.
I'm certain that each firearm has it's own likes/dislikes for powder/lube combinations and your mileage may vary.
Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,
Rodd

Frankly, the answer is NO! I have .32 and .36 flintlocks and shoot them more than anything larger. Now the crowns on my rifles have been polished and don't cut patches allowing me to use a canvas .024" patch. My lube is Hoppes BP lube and TOW mink oil. I do not swab the bores until I've finished my afternoon of shooting and pack up to head home. By using rather tight loads the fouling doesn't get a chance to build up. The .32: a .311" ball, and the .024" lubed patch. The .36: a .350" ball and .024" lubed patch. Your thumb and sandpaper will smooth the crowns entry into the bore in minutes. Still need a short starter but, in my case, I do the majority of my loading with the rather thin underbarrel wood rod. Gotta be careful, though, not to grab the rod more than 4" to 5" above the muzzle each time to insure the rod won't break. Seating is still quite effortless. If it works others and myself, it'll work for you.

Back