• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need a stock maker.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucker

32 Cal
Reaction score
A friend of mine is building a Muzzle loader and has all the parts but needs a stock. I showed him a picture of a Gibbs Match muzzle loader and that's what he wants. I was hoping somebody here could give me the name of a stock maker that can build what he wants and will work with the parts he has. It seems the Gibbs style of stock is not a common style and is the reason my friend and I are having a problem locating the right stock maker. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chucker

Zonie,
That looks good and I will pass this information on to my friend. His barrel is a bit wider flat to flat on the octagon barrel at 1 and 1/8" and hopefully the stock maker can do an adjustment per the services listed. Thanks for supplying this information.

Chucker

The barrel channel can always be enlarged but before ordering it would be a good idea for your friend to call Pecatonica and tell them about the barrel size. They should know if there is enough wood on the face of the lock panel to allow the lock to be moved outward by 1/16" to accommodate the larger barrel. I'm guessing it is. (Their stocks, like I said, have extra wood left on almost all of the surfaces.)
Pecatonica River's phone number is (815) 968-1995. If he's lucky, he will get to talk to Dick Greensides, the man who has owned and run Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply for over 25 years. Dick really knows his stuff about the stocks and kits he makes. He also will usually make a special stock for a builder for little or no increase in price.

I just realized something -- he bought a slab of what he called hard Origon Maple to have made into the stock for his rifle. I sent him the information on Pecatonica Rivers and I hope they would agree to using his wood. If they do I guess they can make the adjustments. The percussion lock is R&L like the stock maker uses but I imagine that there may be other slight adjustments needed. I do BP cartridge rifles but none have a bore this size. He said it's .72 caliber or 12 gauge and the slug is something like 1400 grains. The black powder charge has got to be huge. I hope to hear back from him later today or maybe tomorrow is he tries to contact Pecatonica Rivers.

Chucker

I need to wait and see what my friend wants to do at this point. He has the wood, all the parts just no stock maker right now. He had said that the English match muzzle loader style was fine. Does Curtis Allison have a web site that I can pass on?

I see Pecatonica River is charging $47.50 to shape the stock and cut the barrel channel in their standard Rigby kit. I also know they will gladly use someones wood for the stock provided it is large enough.
I wouldn't be surprised if the cost was a bit higher to cut a Rigby stock for your friend though because it does take some time to set up the milling machine.
Their milling machine by the way cuts several stocks at a time to keep costs low so if they are going to make a special run, just for your friends stock, it will cost a bit more.

I have spoken with Pecatonica recently as far as a custom stock I am planning for a build in the near future.
I have found them very easy to speak with and quite accommodating of my requests.
They will get my business.
I'm not going to worry about paying them a few extra bucks, it will save me a lot of hours and possibly FUBARing a nice slab of walnut.

I live near Pecatonica LRS and have been in their shop to buy stocks and parts. I’ll second Zonie’s comment that Dick Greensides knows his stuff and is very helpful. I have two stocks and part sets from Pecatonica. The wood is high quality and both are inletted well with enough wood left to do a nice job of finishing the inlets. Their buttplate inlet in particular has a nice clean edge and is much finer and better fitted than the 1760 Fusil/Fowler build that is in this section.

Although I’ve never asked them, their catalog indicates they will inlet and shape a customer’s blank.

I appreciate all of nice stories about Pecatonica and I wish the fellow that needs the stock replies soon so I will know how he feels about the place. I will tell him that the stock maker gets very good reviews from people that have had contact with Pectonica River.

I live near Pecatonica LRS and have been in their shop to buy stocks and parts. I’ll second Zonie’s comment that Dick Greensides knows his stuff and is very helpful. I have two stocks and part sets from Pecatonica. The wood is high quality and both are inletted well with enough wood left to do a nice job of finishing the inlets. Their buttplate inlet in particular has a nice clean edge and is much finer and better fitted than the 1760 Fusil/Fowler build that is in this section.

Although I’ve never asked them, their catalog indicates they will inlet and shape a customer’s blank.
Hey can they make a but stock I guess that's what they would call it I got a 3rd 44bp dragoon it is rigged up to put a stock on it to turn it into a rifle do they make them and how much you think it would be thank you in advance kb

Hey can they make a but stock I guess that's what they would call it I got a 3rd 44bp dragoon it is rigged up to put a stock on it to turn it into a rifle do they make them and how much you think it would be thank you in advance kb
They could make the wood part of the pistol stock but they wouldn't have the metal parts.

Those wood rifle stocks that attach to Colt pistols have a metal end that latches onto the protruding screws that are on the sides of the frame. A hook that engages the cuttout at the bottom of the grip frame and tightened with a threaded knob then clamps the affair to the pistol.

I sent a European walnut stock blank and a barrel to Pecatonica to have just a barrel channel inlet.
They sent me an email acknowledging receipt. Three days later they called me and said it was finished. Paid them over the phone and they shipped it on to the builder. Don't think it could have been any easier. LOL And a very reasonable cost. Builder said they did an excellent job.
Couldn't believe the quick turn-around. I would for sure use them again.

Rick

I hope he got the right breach plug for that thing. Something with a shoulder for the bottom of the nipple to seat up tight against with a reduced opening.

Fleener

Pecatonica River Long Rifle is all about craftsmanship, great recommendation.

Latest posts

Back