• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remember this Davy Crockett movie scene?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, yes - great clip, burned into my memory from childhood. In fact, when I got my first muzzleloader last year and realized you need to load a certain amount of powder, I thought back to that show and wondered, "how was Davy able to know how much he loaded if he was doing it that way?" Took me a while to get that clip out of my head and realize that wasn't the right way to do it. But I wonder if some people back then really did load directly from the powderhorn?

Ah, yes - great clip, burned into my memory from childhood. In fact, when I got my first muzzleloader last year and realized you need to load a certain amount of powder, I thought back to that show and wondered, "how was Davy able to know how much he loaded if he was doing it that way?" Took me a while to get that clip out of my head and realize that wasn't the right way to do it. But I wonder if some people back then really did load directly from the powderhorn?
My guess: if Grizz or Indians were comming at ya, measure would be a non usable item at that moment.
Larry

Back in the 90's I leased a ranch in Texas that one property line was Crockett County. While I was hunting always wondered if Davey and his boys passed through that strip of land. It was either Sonora or Ozona had a big statue of Davey Crockett and yes I was a big fan of all those series (Davey Crockett, Daniel Boone).

Have to keep in mind it was meant to be entertainment, not a documentary. I remember Fess Parker saying that he and Mike Mazurki, the actor portraying Bigfoot Mason, were both big guys and the stuntman Disney had hired for the film was a lot smaller. As a result Fess and Mike had to do a lot of their own stunts and got pretty well beat up in the process.

As a five year old, the Davy Crockett craze that took over the country was the smoldering ember that became the spark that started my love for muzzleloading. I really don't care just how inaccurate those films were, I enjoyed them back then and still do today when I feel that need for a touch of nostalgia.
Mike Mazurki, good or bad, always one of my favorites....

Back in the 90's I leased a ranch in Texas that one property line was Crockett County. While I was hunting always wondered if Davey and his boys passed through that strip of land. It was either Sonora or Ozona had a big statue of Davey Crockett and yes I was a big fan of all those series (Davey Crockett, Daniel Boone).
I grew up in Lawrenceburg, TN where Crockett once lived. Got a nice statue of him on the town square and a small but nice state park named after him. That's where the annual Davy Crockett Days rendezvous is held every august. Back around 2010 Lawrenceburg had a pretty bad flood and parts of the park suffered some pretty bad erosion. To make a short story long, a year or so after the flood I was bumming around in the woods down the hill from picnic shelter number 7 and saw something sticking out of the ground. Dug it up and it was a section of an old busted up three legged dutch oven. So, in my mind, that oven either belonged to Davy or George Russell. Sits on the knife bench in my shop now.

But I wonder if some people back then really did load directly from the powderhorn?
Yeah, if you were Lewis Wetzel, and there were some natives chasing you, that's what you did. As to knowing how much to load, you learn how fast the powder comes out of the horn and count while it is being poured (into a powder measure, at least for me).

Same here. Wanted to be Davy when I grew up. Except for the Alamo part that is…
You need to go to rendezvous. We all "play Davey Crocket and Daniel Boone." In addition to shooting our muzzleloaders, we shoot primitive archery, throw tomahawks and knives, and best of all cook over an open fire and drink from period correct jugs.

You mean like this? :)

IMG_2532.jpeg

Back