• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The ideal smoothbore hunting bag??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm not qualified to figure this out but I'm going to build a smoothbore hunting bag for a friend. I want it to be a working design. Of course, it should be aesthetically pleasing but more importantly it needs to be highly functional.

What are the important features of a smoothy hunting bag??

Historically most bags during flintlock times were small, often belt bags. A divided bag is handy. Wads , tools on one side ball loose on the other or bag of shot
Bags could have some decoration, most seem to have been plain. Flat sewn was common without turning the body.
I like to line my bags but this seems to have been rare

Who is going to be using it, a dirt farmer, woodsman, Gentry, what era?
I have made them a bit large so I could stick a sandwich in there, figuring It might be a long morning in the duck blind,
Track used to sell a canvas bag with a lot of room and small pockets to hold the accessories used in fowling. I don't see it on their site anymore. If I was to make another, that bag would be my pattern, very handy.
Robin

This is a great question. There’s a lot of fumbling around in reloading a shot load. I think a bag with a small block for holding paper cartridges (some powder, some shot) and a spot for wads would work best for me. Right now I’m carrying a powder horn with measure attached, a shot snake, and using a belly bag with wads in it.

I like the speed loaders on this one.

I like the pockets and storage of the tactical messenger fishing bag I have though. for the price and all.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240518_092919_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_092919_Chrome.jpg
    1,005.3 KB · Views: 0
I've looked at many leather bags and all.

I wanted to find a leather one. I don't like any of them.

A liner is nice. With dividers pockets

The front pocket nice. Keep cards in there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240518_142722_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_142722_Chrome.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240518_142521_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_142521_Chrome.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240518_100728_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_100728_Chrome.jpg
    646.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240518_100149_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_100149_Chrome.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 0
Because I’m used to shooting out of my pouch. Using a measure and shot snake is no big deal. Also using wonder wads, two over powder and one over shot gives a great pattern and easy and fast loading in my Damascus double.
Doc,

Attachments

• IMG_2885.jpeg
    IMG_2885.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7635.jpeg
    IMG_7635.jpeg
    974.3 KB · Views: 0
I'm not qualified to figure this out but I'm going to build a smoothbore hunting bag for a friend. I want it to be a working design. Of course, it should be aesthetically pleasing but more importantly it needs to be highly functional.

What are the important features of a smoothy hunting bag??
I built a game bag years ago using a back flap of leather and the actual bag was a knitted fabric, don't remember what? I'll take some pic's later and post them, I got the idea from a book I have of old guns showing a hunting scene.

Consider the use in n mind.
If only shot is being used. The a flask like leather with a measure built in it a measure that is used for both shot and powder. ( square load). Over powder cards, I ever shot cards, wads, etc. cleaning patches with pockets inside for each. Muscle memory will direct the shooter to them in the sequence needed once learned.
A pocket on the outside on the back (maybe) for ball and patch just incase.
I swap out some item to the inside if I’m shooting/hunting with ball.
I’m considering making an Irish “shot snake) for shot. I currently use a leather flask with the measure built in. I can wear it on a lanyard or drop In the bag.

The pre load tubes I carry work good for the money.

I want the shot and powder flask.

I'd say 3 compartments is good..

Main large one for shot and powder flasks.. with of course wads all in the bottom..

Then a pocket for wads.. good sized. Get your hand in there

If number 11 caps.. I put a little hook in there and clip 3 capers to it with the nipple pick.

Musket caps.. hand size pocket.

So anywhere from 1 to 3 compartment Lol depends on how they load..

You could get away with one compartment.. shot powder flask in there wads on bottom. A clip in there for cap loaders and pick. If add a clip on the outside to for a cap loader there.

For a clip. I'd think those two side key chains... attached one ring to the bag.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240519_134552_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240519_134552_Chrome.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 0
An idea for a capper to is..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240519_135330_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240519_135330_Chrome.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 0
The pre load tubes I carry work good for the money.

I want the shot and powder flask.

I'd say 3 compartments is good..

Main large one for shot and powder flasks.. with of course wads all in the bottom..

Then a pocket for wads.. good sized. Get your hand in there

If number 11 caps.. I put a little hook in there and clip 3 capers to it with the nipple pick.

Musket caps.. hand size pocket.

So anywhere from 1 to 3 compartment Lol depends on how they load..

You could get away with one compartment.. shot powder flask in there wads on bottom. A clip in there for cap loaders and pick. If add a clip on the outside to for a cap loader there.
Where do you put the kitchen sink?

Back