• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your method of loading shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a new fowler on the way and I want to refine my procedure for shooting shot. I want to hear the loads that you all use when shooting shot. I will get to the patterning board eventually but right now I want to see what works for you guys. I have used both felt wads and tow, and each has worked well in the few chances that I have had to test them out. I killed a rabbit at 25 with the felt wad load and that seems about the distance I should be hoping for in in a cylinder bored, correct? I will be testing these loads out eventually with both 20 and 24 gauge, unchoked guns.

I recently acquired a .50 cal Hawken style rifle with an extra smoothbore barrel in .62 cal/20 gauge. Test fired it two days ago using the same load I use in my 20 gauge SxS & it patterned well @ 30 yards, which is my self imposed limit with my shotguns. My small game/bird load is 75 grains FFg & 1 1/8 oz. of shot. I use a sandwich over powder wad made of a overshot card/lubed felt wad/overshot card. I then put an overshot card on top of the lead shot. I'm going to try different powder/wad/shot combinations to see if I can simplify the load & improve patterns. Be sure to mic your bore diameter if you use pre-made cards or wads, as my barrel uses 19 gauge cards/wads. If you use wool felt wads only in doesn't matter, they just come in 20 gauge size. Going to try to develop a stouter "Turkey" load over the winter. Hoping to load at least 1 1/4 oz of shot, but have heard of guys shooting 1 1/2 oz. with 80+ grains of powder in the heavy octagon smoothbore barrels. Want to be SAFE, so am researching load recommendations/limitations. If anybody out there has experience with these heavy shot loads in a smoothie, please chime in!!

Mostly I use the shot cups I've detailed in a tutorial elsewhere, either in combo with the SkyChief loading method, or, over a thin card sitting on the powder, then a lubed felt wad.
Sometimes, though rarely anymore, I'll use a thin card on the powder followed by lubed "faux tow" (shredded jute rope) and either loose shot (almost never) or a paper cup formed at the muzzle.
Always at least a little more shot than powder by volume.

For me in a 12bore original sxs muzzle loading shotgun it has to be a volume load, you will get many with fancy loads that are mostly to attract the shooter but do not do the job . For a volume load for a 12 load 2.3/4 drms of FFg or medium powder to 1.1/8 of shot. To load powder 2 number 1/8 card wad, shot,.
1/16 over shot card wad the size of shot depending on the quarry for a all round number 6 and 5 for pheasant or duck I have used this load for the past 72+ years which on some outings up too 100 shots you can use a felt wad or tow cushion wad or saturated wads but there is no difference only more expense
Feltwad

shoot an older Navy Arms 12 ga. SxS that will take all percussion/Blackpowder 12, 10 and light 8ga. loads so giving the specific load I use depends on what I am shooting so I usually premeasure my shot and keep in older plastic 35mm film canisters along with the wads, I have a huge supply of Circle Fly wads. I load as follows powder from a adjustable scoop ,over shot wad cushion wad that I lube at time of loading, shot, then over shot wad, then cap or in the case of a flintlock prime the pan. I don't know if Circle Fly is still in business, but I had good luck with them as I have shot doves, rabbits, jackrabbits ,grouse and pheasants and clay pigeons too.

I put down the powder then paper wasps / hornets nest, then shot, then another wad of nest, and VIOLA, shoot it. same it my DBL'S, NO MATTER WHAT GAUGE. I also rely like using shot that has been dripped through a screen. some call it swan shot because of the little tails on them.

For my smooth bores I use a paper shot cartridge made by rolling three thickness of newspaper around a wooden dowel, tying shut one end, fill with shot, fold over and tied. I have found that more than three thickness does not open up, less than three tends to fall apart. For hunting purposes I also use a waxed paper powder charge. And an over powder leather wad This making loading in the field quite simple.Which is nice because I am a simple person.

Back