• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You wanted it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Renegade 50 cal. Not a hunters gun. Too much barrel and not enough hole! Fired about ten shots out of all new barrel and sent it off to Hoyt to make into a 58. Now all it needs is a stock with a little more drop!

I yearn for one but I'm a little afraid I might end up feeling the same way!
Wowser. I've killed quite a few deer with a .50 Renegade shooting Maxi Balls. Never a problem. Not one made it past a few steps. Mine was a very accurate ML.

@ETipp oh, I'm perfectly fine with 50 cal. I have two for my 15/16" Hawken. Killed a couple deer and an elk with the 50 and maxi balls but I've been just fine with balls in 54 for deer and elk. I had a third 50 cal bored to 54 for the Hawken so it only made sense to get a 58 for the renegade. 😀 Then I decided the renegade stock didn't have enough drop for comfortable use of the iron sights. So I ordered the Pecatonica stock.

my wasted want was a Thompson. not a black powder Thompson. a 1927 Thompson. spent my mad money on it instead of a Kibler kit. dang thing has never been fired.
have several guy's that are glassy eyed over it but haven't seen any green yet. as soon as it sells i think i will get Kiblers woods runner.

22" is pretty short. Hard to get the velocity.
Powder burns completely and you get the velocity, so that isn't the issue. It is that the pressure is still high and it blows out the skirts even with wads and makes for uneven accuracy. I have come to the conclusion that the best length for a 58cal is 26" Not overly heavy yet, but enough room for the pressure peak to come down so that you don't blow the skirts at heavier loads..

I bought a Kibler SMR kit second in .32 hand, it was nice rifle but I couldn't see the back sight with my 74 year old eyes and didn't want to move it down the barrel so sold it. I already had two Tennessee's in .40, one percussion and one flint. After selling the Kibler I realized I really didn't need another squirrel rifle.

You want it, you dreamt of one, you finely got it and…… you didn’t like it
Has it happened to you?
Me it was a Northwest gun, wanted it for years, had to have one, bought a kit, ton of fun putting it together. Then I shot it. Shot center, every thing worked well, but you know it just wasn’t my TFC.
It wasn’t as comfortable to carry, just didn’t fit me as well,
Wanting is better then having some times
What have you got that just didn’t do the job.
As much as I love that 1970's Dixie Gun Works fifty caliber photon torpedo with the 43" barrel that's good for tiny groups as well as prying up stumps, my body isn't as strong as it used to be. Now my dream gun is what I handle well and I hit with. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on getting that round barrel .445 bore I've been threatening to put together, like a 2/3's scale musket that handles like a bolt action .22.

Mine was a Northwest Trade gun I built out of parts and a blank. Beautiful gun but I only shot it one time on a woods walk because we had to shoot shot and ball both. It's been sitting in the safe for over 40 years.

Gun Tramp, I'd be glad to trade you for the Woodsrunner.

You want it, you dreamt of one, you finely got it and…… you didn’t like it
Has it happened to you?
Me it was a Northwest gun, wanted it for years, had to have one, bought a kit, ton of fun putting it together. Then I shot it. Shot center, every thing worked well, but you know it just wasn’t my TFC.
It wasn’t as comfortable to carry, just didn’t fit me as well,
Wanting is better then having some times
What have you got that just didn’t do the job.
T/C Hawken

.45 caliber bullet rifle. Bought a 1:18” Rice match grade barrel, then bought a TC Hawken to mount into. Have the tang rear sight and Lyman combination front sight. This was to be an ultimate dedicated ML hunting rifle that would perform like a 45-70 and have an effective range of 200 yards.
I’ve spent a pile of green on the project and it’s 90% complete.
Then I bought a couple of flintlocks….

.45 Buntline 12" 1858 Army. Had a stainless and it was not as accurate as the ROA. Sold it. Son then informs me it was the ONLY uzmuzzleloader had he liked. Soooo bought another (blue, I like blue better myself). Was not happy when he commented he didn't like it, he only likes stainless??? It too lacks in what I would expect a 12 barrel to provide accuracy wise and it is up for sale or trade "soon". They are awkward too? Maybe Mike wants to Goonerize it, could trade for goonerizing a few others I have HA!

I should have said my very first M/L was a Navy Arms Zouave. My buddy was into NSSA and talked me into it. I couldn't get that thing to shoot for beans. It keyholed rounds and was just horrible. I sold it for a song to a club member who was into the NSSA and reenacting. He had it "accuratized", whatever that was, and used a longer minie ball with a longer bearing surface on it. He won tons of prizes with it. As an aside, he was an extra in the movie "Gettysburg" on the Wall after Pickett's Charge shouting "Fredericksburg, Fredericksburg."

Latest posts

Back