• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood grain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw this picture of a nice custom underhammer shotgun. BUT I am wondering why the forearm has this knot area? Seems like builder would have avoided that piece of wood. Looks solid though. Maybe I am missing something.

1713279841607.png

It's so interesting. Some people don't mind an imperfection in wood and others absolutely hate them. I generally fall in the first camp. We sometimes have customers who complain about some completely insignificant irregularity in a piece of wood, but then don't do the most important things well (poor sanding, staining, finishing etc.) You see this all the time with novice custom builders as well. They'll want the best possible wood, but then often make a mess of other things.

It's so interesting. Some people don't mind an imperfection in wood and others absolutely hate them. I generally fall in the first camp. We sometimes have customers who complain about some completely insignificant irregularity in a piece of wood, but then don't do the most important things well (poor sanding, staining, finishing etc.) You see this all the time with novice custom builders as well. They'll want the best possible wood, but then often make a mess of other things.
I know this is an old post but everything Jim says is so true. I've been finishing wood for years. It always amazed me that someone would buy a kit for over a thousand dollars and then not want to take the time to get the finish right. It takes time to work wood and metal down to make it presentable. Now that being said beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've worked on rifles, put them back together, and after a day or two took them apart and worked on them some more because I didn't feel I had done the piece justice. It takes time to develop the eye we need for the work. It also takes time to develop the skill level to perform certain tasks, some more than others. That is the beauty of it. Putting a gun together does not mean it's finished. There are some great gunmakers out there who freely share their talents and information with us via all of the social media platforms that are available today. My advice is, if you don't like what you see, it's not done. Get out there and have fun. Kibler makes beautiful kits and provides the support and information so that you will be satisfied with your gun when finished. Have fun.

I agree with Jim. Blemishes add personality to wood that is only curly. Look at some of the books. The European builders didn't waste anything. They fixed and patched the wood. Even on the high grade pieces.
I see his kits on here all the time with nice wood and unsanded cutter marks on both the wood and the metal. Also castings that haven't been polished to remove the parting lines. The devil is in the finishing details not a blemish in the wood.

Sometimes the wood ,when in stock blank form , doesnt show any indication of a knot ....then when you take the wood dont close to final ....BAM .....there it is .

Not only do I like the appearance of well finished knots in a stock [preferably in the butt], but I’ve manufactured knots to replace unsound wood; it’s a bit of a fun job and bits of old knots can be used along with shavings on edge with filler made from rasping/fileing and clear glue.
I’ve found that clear epoxy finish makes an excellent glue.

Back