• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wonderwad behind patched round ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walruskid1

54 Cal.
Reaction score
anybody use a wonderwad behind a patched round ball to protect the patch? how about a folded up patch? my main shooter is damaging the patch (shredding 'em).

How new is your rifle? New guns seem to chew up patches and I would have no problem with you using a wonderwad. It will not hurt accuracy but sometimes it helps.

Are you using 777? That chews up patches in a couple of rb guns I shoot.

anybody use a wonderwad behind a patched round ball to protect the patch? how about a folded up patch? my main shooter is damaging the patch (shredding 'em).

On one rifle I shoot Triple Se7en FFg. If the rifle was not so accurate with that powder.. well I have to use a wonderwad between the powder and the patched ball or the patch is shredded and smoking. With the wad, you could re-use the patch if you wanted and the accuracy is exceptional..

I use them with any full power hunting load in any caliber...the most obvious benefit is patch protection as you can pick patches up off the ground and reuse them...I believe they increase sealing that improves consistency & accuracy...and they put more lube into the bore.

I also use the next larger size caliber wad...ie: .58cal wad in a .54, a .54cal wad in a .50,[url] etc...in[/url] the belief that a larger wad give a tighter seal...no science, just speculation but it all seems to work really well

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get burnthrough on my patches, but I use them for target shooting, as I feel that the load is more accurate that way.

the bore is in very good shape, like new, ever though the rifle was 20 trs old when i got it. yes i am using triple 7 with this one. accuracy has been real good, as good as i can hold. i need to sandbag it someday and go for the one hole groups. its close at 50 yds now.

I used them with all my PRB loads at first, because I thought they were a necessity (I learned about BP at first with shot loads and they always use an overpowder card, so I just firgured PRB was the same rule). I have since stopped using them for target loads (60 gr. in my .62) but will use them for hunting loads. They do keep the patches from burning and accuracy seems very good with them in my smoothbore. :results:

I use them with any full power hunting load in any caliber...the most obvious benefit is patch protection as you can pick patches up off the ground and reuse them...I believe they increase sealing that improves consistency & accuracy...and they put more lube into the bore.

I also use the next larger size caliber wad...ie: .58cal wad in a .54, a .54cal wad in a .50,[url] etc...in[/url] the belief that a larger wad give a tighter seal...no science, just speculation but it all seems to work really well

:agree: Well said. I've also used the bore sized wads for about the same performace as well. I also think the tighter fitting wads help with gas sealing.

If you are shredding patches with target loads, try increasing your patch thickness slightly.

If this is a new bore, try shooting 30-40 conical this will help to break-in the bore a bit faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but I sometimes use a vegetable wad behind the lubed patch to protect the powder. If I intend on leaving the gun loaded for a length of time, like a weekend during hunting season.

If the patch is failing it is often the fault of the patch & condition of bore (too new & sharp, too rough). A wad won't help that.

Back