• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

With what?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Powder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all you deer hunters out there. What did you get your deer with? Let's list gun, powder, projectile type and anything else you think important. Here's mine for this year.
Northwest trade gun Flinter 62 cal.
55 grains FFF
.60 RB .015 patch
About 20 yards from behind a bush along a well used trail
No Powder

I got a big doe...

Used a 2000+ pound projectile...
1996 Ford Windstar...
Front bumper...
Knocked her for a loop...
rolleyes.gif

.54 FL longrifle, .530 RB, 90gr 2f.018 patch, 130yrds, another at 80yrds. Would not shoot beyond 100 again, Too risky, but on this one everything looked right and went well.

I think it will be interesting to see which kind of projectal took the most deer on this forum. So far the count seems to be RB-2, other projectals 0 and Fords -1

On vacation this week & next week, hunting the rut here in NC...great start so far:
11/10/03
8 Pointer/35 yards, shoulder/vertebrae, dropped in his tracks:
.54cal TC Hawken Flintlock
TC round ball barrel
Hornady .530
Prelubed Oxyoke wonderwad
Prelubed TC .018" pillow ticking
90grns Goex FFFg
3grns Goex FFFFg prime
=================================================
11/12/03
8 Pointer/60 yards, heart shot, leaped & swapped ends, sprinted 25 yds and crashed into a tree;
This time with a .50cal TC Hawken Flintlock
TC round ball barrel
Hornady .490
90grns Goex FFFg
3grns Goex FFFFg prime
===========================================
11/12/03 an hour later:
7 Pointer/30 yards, heart shot, ran 25yds & fell;
Also with the .50cal TC Hawken Flintlock
TC round ball barrel
Hornady .490
90grns Goex FFFg
3grns Goex FFFFg prime

Have 1 buck and 2 doe tags left and am hunting them with a .45cal TC Hawken Flintlock Round Ball

Got skunked on the season opener. Hunted state land. There's always next weekend. By the way, I'm hunting with my Lyman Trade Rifle, it's what I'm most comfortable with. Take care, Rick.

Took a 125lb. 6 point during Maryland's early ML. I used a Lyman GPR .54, 100gr Ffg, wonder wad, .005 wonder patch, and a .530 rb.

I got a nice doe with my Knight Wolverine 209, .50 cal. I was shooting 100 grains of Triple 7 powder (2 pellets) and Hornady XTP Mag, 300 grain bullets. I shoot open sights and the deer was approximately 60 yards away. I'm getting ready to have some deer burritos tonight!

First Muzzleloader season one 4 point at 20yds. ran 30 yds. and died. One doe at 120yds. droped in her tracks. Useing a 50 cal. T/C Omega, Hornady 240xtp mag., Hornady 50 cal. mag. sabot, 130grs. Pyrodex in pellet form and Remington 209-4 primer.

Doe at 130 yds with TC black Diamond 50 cal. 300 gr.sabot three 50 gr. pellets. A pass thru the ribs no meat loss. Rocky

9 point, heavy body, heavy rack. .54 longrifle, .530 RB, 90gr. ffg Goex. 35 yrds, just behind shoulder and exiting to just under skin in mid neck.

Doe, 137 yards, 2-50g 777 pellets, 300g SST, in one side out the other, large exit hole just behind the sholder, didn't go 10 yards and dropped. Dad got one with the same load at just under 50 yards through the heart, dropped when hit.

11/20/03

6 Pointer at first light
50 yards, heart shot, ran 35yds & fell within sight of the stand;
.45cal TC Hawken "Cougar" Flintlock with TC round ball barrel;
Hornady .440 ball went through a rib, the heart, and lodged under the skin on the far side;
Prelubed TC .018" pillow ticking patch
90grns Goex FFFg main charge
3grns Goex FFFFg prime

I killed a medium sized 8 pt. during KY's Oct, black powder season. .54 TVM Early Virginia Flinter,100gr 3f,220gr. RB, .015 tick patch. I shot him at about 50-60 yrds. from treestand. Ball passed thru both lungs, and he ran about 30 yds. Our season starts Monday. Goeb

Our season opened yesterday and I haven't got to hunt yet. Last one I took was with a Lyman GPR caplock several years ago, 100 grs. FFg, 530 PRB at about 50 yards. This year will be same load in a Jack Garner Leman, .54 flint.

Vic

Shotgun deer season started this weekend here in Iowa, you may use a Muzzleloader during this season. Anyway just talked to large group that took 13 deer 7 with muzzleloaders, 6 of these were with R/B, 1 with an inline. The other 6 deer were taken with shotguns. This is not typical of this season, as a lot of this group were also Buckskinners. It does show that the round ball can hold it's own.

6 point Last day of regular deer season. t/c Black Diamand three pelets & 300 gr. sabot.Heart shot at 170 yds. it still ran into water in the woods about 40 yrs. Rocky

No Power. I live in southern Michigans shot gun zone. We are aloud any muzzleloader you want to use. No cal. requirement. I never liked useing a shot gun anyway. So I use either a 50 cal. RB rifle or my inline for long shots. Rocky

Latest posts

Back