• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Williamsburg Bess Photos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was looking at another site and thought the photos posted there would be of interest to those of you with a true historical bent. The photos are of Brown Bess inside the Governor's Mansion, the Armory and the gunsmith shop at Williamsburg. You'll probably never see so many Bess's in one place other than the Tower of London. They state that there's 290 at the Governor's Mansion!! I haven't been to Williamsburg since 1961 (when I was 11) and it started me down the road to ruination (BP lust I think it's called).
Here's the link http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/8912/t/Interested-in-getting-a-Brown-Bess.html

what's the plural of bess anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Besses. You didn't go down the road to ruination--that leads to those in-line things. You must think of it as the road to enlightenment and appreciation of things historical! Doesn't that sound better? :wink: Thanks for the link!

dd832 said:
... I haven't been to Williamsburg since 1961 (when I was 11) and it started me down the road to ruination (BP lust I think it's called).

what's the plural of bess anyway?

(a step in the right direction, IMHO ~PA Rifleman)

I was there in 1986, and about 1989. Same, it set me on the smokepole path.

You can see a few of my Williamsburg photos here > Link

Great photo's

The one's in the armory are original many came from the Tower of London!

The ones in the Govoner's Palace are reproductions
contracted by CW from Navy Arms back in the 1980's.......

Back in the late '60's my Uncle from Hampton VA told me that the guy who started Planters Peanuts surrounded his Mansion with Besses. Supposedly they were set butt down in concrete a foot apart or so. Bayonets fixed and pointed up. This was in Suffolk VA. What a fence! Don't know if it's true. :cursing: :shake: The Mansion was built in 1926 and I expect you could get them from Bannerman's pretty cheap!

Ben

I haven't heard that, but it is worth looking into, though I doubt that Bannerman's had such
a large stock of Brown Bess muskets, at the time
they were converting percussion guns to flint lock for the African trade

KABAR2 said:
Great photo's

The one's in the armory are original many came from the Tower of London!

The ones in the Govoner's Palace are reproductions
contracted by CW from Navy Arms back in the 1980's.......
Correct.

For a time, CW even sold them but had stopped circa 1985-86.

That's where my musket came from (Navy Arms), it was one of two leftover Pedersolis from that job. New in the box. Still kicking myself for not buying the second one.

Ben Coogle said:
Back in the late '60's my Uncle from Hampton VA told me that the guy who started Planters Peanuts surrounded his Mansion with Besses. Supposedly they were set butt down in concrete a foot apart or so. Bayonets fixed and pointed up. This was in Suffolk VA. What a fence! Don't know if it's true. :cursing: :shake: The Mansion was built in 1926 and I expect you could get them from Bannerman's pretty cheap!

Ben[/quote]

Did some checking so far nothing about guns being used as a fence.
http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/suffolk-home-planters-peanuts-founder-danger
http://hamptonroads.com/node/219131#comment-202791

Being an Itialian immagrant I sort of doubt he used muskets for a fence, he used a lot of stained glass and marble in the house.....it doesn't fit with his style.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so inspired by the photo of the muskets on the wall of the Governor's mansion - where they're mounted horizontal, 2 per rack - I'm going to make a musket rack too. Found a place that has 5" long shaker pegs (no mahogany pegs like in the photo tho, dang!) & there you go. Now all I need is a couple hundred muskets to fill it and I'll be all set. later, Mike

We were there over the 4rth of July this year. The Dewitt Wallace decorative arts museum is also full of firelocks. A great collection of original Brown bess muskets is on hand that includes all the pattern dates. European high art guns are also displayed. Awe inspiring for me were 4 recently repatriated from the UK regimental flags that had been Banastre Tarleton's trophys of war. One is thought to be the first standard with 13 red and white stripes. Another is bloodstained. Wow!! Also saw a neat Carolina gun in the gunsmith shop the stock painted with decorative vines. Way cool!

dd832 said:
I am so inspired by the photo of the muskets on the wall of the Governor's mansion - ...

As was I. This is in my basement.

Rack.jpg

Very nice collection. Too bad about the barrel breaking off on that one in the middle, though. :grin:

Yup, I looked at that site before I posted. Uncle Tuck, Edward J., was born in the area, Hampton, in 1912. Don't know but he may have known something they don't. Always been a curious factoid to me.

Ben

dd832 said:
I am so inspired by the photo of the muskets on the wall of the Governor's mansion - I'm going to make a musket rack too.
Okay a couple of rack o' musket progress photos: It only has a 1st coat of finish and will get some flat black rustoleum a-la mike brooks for an antiquing look. Rack will get a couple more coats of thinned finish before the black paint.

img_0551a.jpg
kind of looks like a giant elmer fudd hat rack

before & after shot of the peg
img_0556a.jpg

got a couple of passers-by to put their muskets on the rack
img_0553a.jpg

close-up shot...that's a 1970 pedersoli bess kit with a maple stock on the top pegs that somebody hasn't finished...yet.
39 years & not finished....hmmm
img_0554a.jpg

Rack wood is birch verticals & alder horizontals with 3 different stains & 1 coat of spar varnish.
Later, Mike

Back