• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Widely varied shooter in AR.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterboyark

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello boys, getting back to my roots with all this hoop-la and saber rattling. I love BP arms but I'm not picky. Really like Handgun Hunting and working up a .54 Scout I bought from John Taffin. He finally sold me a gun. I also have a couple Dixie Cannon (2.25" bores) and for you 50th B-day bought a Double 20 bore flinter made by a local gentleman with some considerable skill. Plan on trying it on Dove this September. Have taken Hog with my Ruger Old Army, what fun. Shoot me a note if you have any wisdom to share. Want to build me my own Flint pistol too. - SB

Welcome, we here stay the old ways, but pull up a seat and stay , who knows what comes up. :grin:

Oh yeah, firstimer's slip. Point being I am an avid Handgunner. What Traditional BP "Handgun" gun would be a good primary hunting arm? I have a Lyman Plains pistol in .54 that is very accurate with RB to 50 yds. But shooting conicals the recoil is really dicey, even for me, a seasoned big bore handgunner. It would work however. I glassed the stock but the grip is horrible for recoil mitigation. IN a large bore smoothie, like a .67 Tower flinter and .62 Howdah, the velocity was just not there (aprox. 800 fps max.) What do you guys consider other options?

Back