• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who rifles their bores?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just seeing if there are any folks on here that rifle their bores or install rifled liners. Also if rifled liners are used, where can they be obtained? Thanks for any insight as I have the perfect piece of naval brass sitting here to make a scale replica in about 2" bore.

Question - Don't know.

But I sure am envious that you have a nice size chunk of brass for a cannon. I would like to find one to. Good luck with your project.

Does naval brass alone not have the strength to stand up to black powder loads.

Were original naval cannon steel lined?
I'm sure it is strong enough alone with at least a 1" wall thickness. I am wanting to replicate a rifled gun of some type. Undecided on which one. The brass I have is 485 brass (aka naval brass). I thought with a liner that it would be more durable than rifling the brass itself. Would also add strength of course.

I am just starting my research but so far I haven't really seen that any were lined historically.

Historically speaking, rifled bronze guns would wear down quickly. Thats why the vast majority of rifles tubes were iron.

Dylan be careful with your thickness, the now days
“Accepted standard” safe thickness on the breech end is equal to bore chamber size. Example- 2” bore should have at least 2” thickness all the way around, so your outside diameter would need to be 6” at breech.

Historically speaking, rifled bronze guns would wear down quickly. Thats why the vast majority of rifles tubes were iron.

Dylan be careful with your thickness, the now days
“Accepted standard” safe thickness on the breech end is equal to bore chamber size. Example- 2” bore should have at least 2” thickness all the way around, so your outside diameter would need to be 6” at breech.
Yeah it might be more like 1.5-1.750" bore. The liner would be 4140 steel. I could be wrong but that thickness rating is for a cast cannon, correct? I proofed a test barrel that was 1.750" ID with a .500" side wall thickness. Material was DOM low carbon steel. They don't really want to list a pressure value on their materials but if you do an engineering calculation for that type of steel and thickness it should handle every bit of 40,000 PSI. I remotely proofed it using 2.5 OZ of black powder and 1.5 lbs of lead. The test barrel left the carriage but all was fine! Tested further with about 1 0z of black and a lead projectile just under one pound. Once I make a mould the 1.750 ball will weigh just over a pound. I definitely want to make it plenty thick and safe though all at the same time.

A buddy of mine had a piece of DOM tubing that was big enough bore for a beer can full of concrete. They continuously loaded that with 4 OZ of black powder for years! I thought that seemed like they were pushing it a bit!

Just seeing if there are any folks on here that rifle their bores or install rifled liners. Also if rifled liners are used, where can they be obtained? Thanks for any insight as I have the perfect piece of naval brass sitting here to make a scale replica in about 2" bore.
Contact Bobby Hoyt, the modern master of rifling and re-lining.

Back