• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whiskey Distillers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko10thivi

32 Cal.
Reaction score
At a few Rendezvous last year, I ran into a couple of people that had small distillers,made of copper and about the size of a coffee maker. I would like to obtain one for my Civil War camp impression. Anyone know where I could obtain one?
I believe it was Sherman that said that if he could close all the distilleries in the camps, he would have the equivalant of 5000 able troops at any given time.

Sherman was a fool. The alcohol in the whiskey they made was essential for killing germs. It was essential for sanitation in the overcrowded camps. He'd have lost 5000 troops without the distilleries, and then might have lost the war. So you see, the North won the war because of the efforts of those enterprising individual distillers. And they didn't even get a thank you, much less the medals they earned!

Any good custom sheet metal shop should be able to make one up for you out of copper. They will solder it up with lead solder unless you specify otherwise, so if you use it don't drink the results. I think it's illegal to have a still with a worm. The Foxfire books have a whole big chapter on stills, recipes and how to hide from the Revenooers.

Many Klatch

You can buy a still for "essential oils production" that's making things like peppermint oil or rose extract. Oddly enough they come with a copper liner in the cooling tower. They're absolutely NOT period correct but they make good whisky.

I built a one gallon still using the pattern in the Foxfire book about 35 years ago. Folded seams and no solder is the way to go. As long as you don't boil the water it'll stay tight.

if you have one made for you have it sealed with nickel-silver brazing rod or regular brass rod will do. a sheet metal shop likely won't be able to handle this, so ask around for a welder/fabricator with experience useing these rods.

You can use a small electric "crock" pot from wally world. Make sure is has a plastic lit. Cut a hole in the plastic and fit a piece of plastic tubing in there. Aquarium air hose works. Seal the hole with glue made from water and flour. When it dries, cut a hole in a gallon plastic milk jug and fill it with ice. Run the hose through the ice. Stick an aquarum temperature gauge on the lid and start cooking. I would recomend doing this outside. The flash point of alcohol during this process is very low, explaining how you set your house on fire to the atf and insurance company will be difficult. There are alot of good books on the subject, I would recomend buying one.
I personally stay away from stuff made from grain and use only fruit wine for the batch. You'll find out about that in the reading.

Regards

Ill post this out there... with a lot of disscussion recently of "distillation" and whats legel whats not ect, How to ect
http://www.homedistiller.org/

According to them (which is copied and pasted from the ATF site...Go try navigating that one!)

You may not possess a still that has had NOTHING i type again NOTHING but WATER run through it. EVERYTHING else requires that the still be registered and "approved" from ATF for ANY purpose...including essitial oils, ethonal for use non taxed home/agricultuarl equiptment (i.e. you want to make your own gasoohaul/ethonal to run your lawnmower off...)ect.

Now if your in possesion of a still and say your making a very nice Lambrusco wine and the XXX guys come beating down your door for whatever reason, possesion of both togther is considered the same as "moonshining" no matter what. (kinda the same logic they aply to possesion of a full auto conversion kit and a Ar-15 even tho its not installed you are still in possession of an unregierstered MG)I guess they think your going to turn that fine lambrusco into a poor excuse for a Brandy and cheat the XXX guys from their $14.00 a 100proof gallon of taxes!

Now you may make up to 100 gallons per person of drinking age of wine and beer up to 200 gallons per year per household. (now that a lot! since 1979 IIRC under former president carter exective order.)But nothing else....

Now folks I aint saying it aint done....but know whats whats in this day an age about it.....and its a sub hobby that requires research way beyond what we do here...

Be safe and have fun with whatever you decide....

please excuse the bad spelling Ive been hitting the spirits a little myself this eve....

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Sky Trapper said:
Now if your in possesion of a still and say your making a very nice Lambrusco wine and the XXX guys come beating down your door for whatever reason, possesion of both togther is considered the same as "moonshining" no matter what.

Wine isn't distilled, but we get the point. :v

Yup...don't matter if you're using it or not. Possession of a still is against the law and said possession is considered "intent" and the "intent to make" is a crime. I donated the one gallon still I made to a local museum and they had to register it.

You can really get in trouble doing some of the things you find in the Foxfire Books.

Now it can get interesting if you just happen to be a chemist and you possess all the glass parts to make a still...even though you don't use them in that combination. Remember, this is the good old US of A and your government will screw you every chance they get. Make said government mad at you and all that glass is a "still." In case you didn't know...the burden of proof is no longer on the government's shoulders. You have to prove your innocence. You're guilty by statute.

Latest posts

Back