• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whew! UGLY knife.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek:Sorry, waddint thinkin. Just got a little upset when somthin with that much class and sooooul is called ugly. Figured I'd try and bring him (Joe Yanta)to his sences. Didn't mean to offend anybody :peace:, but still, I was right!!! :hatsoff:

[quoteHow about an Ooloo (Ulu)?
I made this one for my brother...

P3260002.jpg
[/quote]

Now THAT'S an ULU!! Looks like something Worf the Klingon would be proud to carry! :: Cool blade.
Patsy

Hey Joe, I was thinking about your comments on forming rawhide, and had an idea/question. I've made Kydex sheaths, and used thick foam to form it up when it was heated. Ever try this with rawhide? I'm thinking it might work. Soak the rawhide, place the knife in the leather liner, wrap them with the rawhide, place between 2 foam blocks, clamp it up and let it set up. Let me know what you think, I'm pretty new to this, but I might give it a shot.

Sniper thanks for bringing me around. If we were just talking ugly, that knife in the picture you posted would make mine go lay down by its dish. That is one ugly knife. Most everyone who knows me personally know how I am about knives and early tools. Now and then someone will start talking about the fantasy knives and weapons and I feel a little embarassed when they include hand made creations with computer "spit-out" batch knives like that. To think, there are some who really like 'em.

J.M. I have never tried foam blocks like that but it sounds like a good idea. I think I will try it on the next knife I make. I use popcicle sticks and clamps along the edge to keep a straight seam. Sometimes, when molding around a curved blade, you need to get the rawhide to buckle over its self. Then I use big rubber bands like wood workers use to compress the rawhide down.

I have an inspiration to make a medium belt knife with a blade of 6 or 7 inches. I would like to use "green" bone for the handle. I'd like some rawhide wrapped around the handle too. I thought of a couple things that would have made this sheath a little more interesting that I will incorporate on my next one too.

Rawhide is certainly the pioneers "kydex". Sinew and hide glue is mountain man "fiberglass". Every time I use sinew and hide glue I am more impressed. It gets as hard granite and anvil tough, I love it.

Personal and sincere question. I have been making knives for about 30 years. I have sold a few modern knives, many to wives who want to give one as a gift to their husbands. I get a big satisfaction of giving knives away to sportsmen who really cant afford custom knives. Some of my combat knives are currently in Iraq and Afghanistan happily given to younger enlisted men on the "front line". I enjoy researching history and making period items as accurately as possible more than I do making modern. Do you fellows really think there would be a small market for my period and primitive creations?. I could have taken a pension and retirement a couple of years ago but really need something to do with my self. I have previously posted several tomahawks, knives and powderhorns here you could look at. I have a blade stamp that is "YANTA (over the word) FORGED", do you think I should stamp primitive and period knives with that stamp or have a new one made? Your opinions would be very appreciated on this one. Thanks

Thanks

Joe Yanta

Joe, as I said earlier, I am very new (about 18 months) making knives. I have been attracted to the "period" pieces I see different places, and have been trying to learn how to make this type of item. I only do it for myself, have given a lot of stuff to friends and family. In the last month I've been asked to bring some items for "show and tell" at a club I belong to. The period stuff got lots of comments from everyone. Not many people have seen this type of item before, and it appeals to hunters, muzzleloaders, and people who like Western/Native American items.With no marketing or pushing anything on anyone, I've sold 6 pieces, no problem. With your skill and talent, you would be surprised how you would do. Dont be shy, give it a shot. I dont want to digress too much from the thread, if you want send me a PM and we can chew the fat, maybe I can get my wife to post some pictures of what I've been doing. Glad to share any info on this.

Joe,
Looks functional to me and that is all that countsIMHO
snake-eyes :applause:

As encouragement to your question concerning your primitive and period creations check out www.winklerknives.com. He does very well with just such creations. Made the knives etc. for Daniel Daye-Lewis in The Last of the Mohicans. Karen Shook makes the rawhide sheaths for his knives and does incredible work. Might consider making blades only for those like myself who would like a knife such as yours but don't have the know how or equipment to make the blade. Good luck.

I really appreciate your comments, it takes a leap of faith to post a picture of something you made.

Now, what can I make next?

Joe Yanta

How about an Ooloo (Ulu)?

I made this one for my brother...

P3260002.jpg

------Your brother should be more careful, he bent it :hmm:

Joe Yanta:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, any thing that you personally make will have a beauty far surpassing factory made goods...

I for one like your efforts...

"------Your brother should be more careful, he bent it" :applause: :applause:

Yep! I reckon he bent the heck out of it! Tough feller, that brother.

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Gawd! It can't be healthy to laugh this hard!

Russ

Charles living in a state which has good big game hunting allows me to find some good materials for doing primitive projects. I happened to pick up this doe rawhide at a garage sale. The drawback to this is you never really know exactly what it is. This could have been a doe antelope or doe deer. I never asked. The elk rawhide that I use a lot of I got off of ebay. I used to make my own rawhide but my wife frowns on it now that we live in a new home.

I use Fiebrings leather dyes to stain my leathers with.

I also use a home brew hygenic "crud" mixture to work into the stitching and rawhide where I want it to look used. That mixture is beeswax, rotten stone and resin. I melt it up and apply it with my fingers while keeping it workable with a hot air gun. You can also make up some harder "crud" with hide glue.

Nice meeting you.

Joe Yanta

That is so ugly that I hate to propigate the speecis but what would you charge to make me a knife that is that (yuck) ugly?

I gots a good eye for ugly. I'd show ya some pictures of ugly women but I'd get in trouble with Claude :nono: plus the forum might get shut down cause of to many ugly women complaining and wanting to sue!!! :eek: :shocking: ::

Back