• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to start and usual good load in 58?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loaded it the same way I load all my other TC rifles. The ignition issues started with the first shot.

That said:

- Prior to first loading, run a clean patch down the bore and snap a couple caps. I usually put the patch in the muzzle before I snap a cap to make sure it flies out.
- pour in powder, tap the sides of the barrel a few times.
- stick ball in patch, use short starter and then ramrod.
- Cap an fire.
- Every third shot, run a damp patch down the bore and back up, no back and forth. Run a dry patch down and up, no back and forth.
- resume loading and firing.

My .58 caliber New Englander barrel was bored by Bobby Hoyt with rounded groove 1/60" twist. When i'm having a good day the gun makes one inch fifty yard groups. The load is:

.570 Hornady round ball
80 or 90 grains of Black MZ powder
Unwashed drill cloth patch lubed with Mink Oil
CCI #11 cap
I'll bet Bobby Hoyt would have a recommendation! Aside from that, I shoot an original .58 1861 Bridesberg with a greased Minnie and 60 grains FFG and I'm getting shot groups (way bigger than 1" but on the paper
KIMG0121.JPG
lol) at 50 yards. AND there's 7" cut off the barrel! I just picked up some round balls with lubed patched. I'm very anxious to see what it'll do with this alternative ammo choice.

Is the problem right after you run the damp patch down the bore? If your jag is too big or too tight with the cleaning patch, you could be pushing the crud down the bore and not bring it back up and out. Thus pushing it into the drum. The jag and patch combo should be a little loose. not so mush that the patch gets stuck down the bore but that it rides over the fouling and when pulled back out, to patch bunches up and pulls the fouling out.

In the WBTS a standard load was 60 gr under a Mini. I have an Armi Sport `61, and some guy told me a hunting load was 3x caliber, so I shot 180 gr under a PRB one time. Just ONE time. Missed the paper at 25 yards. I concluded. it was NOT worth trying to make group with it. I messed around with all sorts of loads with thart thing and never DID find a load for it

Is the problem right after you run the damp patch down the bore? If your jag is too big or too tight with the cleaning patch, you could be pushing the crud down the bore and not bring it back up and out. Thus pushing it into the drum. The jag and patch combo should be a little loose. not so mush that the patch gets stuck down the bore but that it rides over the fouling and when pulled back out, to patch bunches up and pulls the fouling out.

Nope. First shot after cleaning is fine.

Will see if a thorough cleaning with hot soapy water helps. Something I should have done before I shot it the first time.

I had three barrels bored by Hoyt and all three had a lot og gunk in the breech area. Ot sure what it was. Maybe excess grease from installing the plug? Maybe thick lubricant residual in the bore that was pushed down when wiped the first time? I wiped all three bores straight away after unpacking. There was a little gob of goomba on the face of the patches.

From there I stroked all three with Wheeler lapping compound on a tight patch about 50 times and then again with JB bore paste. This was done "just because" in case there were any sharp edges remaining. After that they were cleaned just as though they had just been shot.

At this point I've only shot one barrel and it functioned perfectly. The bore was wiped between shots. Hope to get a chance to try the other two soon.

Back