• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy used smooth bores?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayman

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. So I'm layed up due to covid, Not sick, already had it, I had a motorcycle accident and broke my ankle. So I recently became interested in smoothbores after reading around here, I borrowed one from a good friend of mine. It was a ships musket or something. Basically a cut down brown bess musket. This fellow got his at a gun show and didn't know where it came from, so I searched around and found the company who sells them, but that company doesn't seem to be thought real highly of, and after reading the FAQ on their website, im not encouraged to buy a gun from them. So i looked on all the auction websites I know of but cant find a similar gun. I figured if anyone would know good places to look for this gun it would be you guys. On payday i will be paying the 30 percent down on a Natchez smoothbore from TVM, but ill have to wait awhile for that gun. I liked this "ships" musket for its handiness, and to my surprise it went off fast, and patterned awesome. ill stop blathering and get to the questions.

1. Are there any websites similar to the big gun auction sites that deal primarily in black powder fire arms, or are there any other outlets that sell the same guns the folks at the place i would rather not buy from?

2. How do you aim a smoothbore musket? Even with a smokeless shot gun I just stink with slugs and I was even worse with the little musket. Just lousy. What's a reasonable range for a new guy to be accurate with round ball shot from a smooth bore?

3. How does one support two very expensive habits at the same time ? Harley Davidson motorcycles and muzzleloaders ?

Sorry for being all over the place, but its been a long boring day. Thanks yall.

Dixie gun works is a good place to window shop online. The best place to buy a used one is to watch the buy/sell/trade section of this forum. I see some great deals on here. I bought a Pedersoli Indian trade musket from Dixie, then a few days later there was an almost new one for sale on this forum for several $100 less. I love my trade gun btw. With a little tweaking of the wood finish I’m very happy with it.

So how much do you wanna spend? What is your expectations of this firearm?

The fore-mentioned Pedersoli Indian Trade musket is a fine weapon with only a few minor HC/PC faults. I know, I own one. They can bury that gun with me when I die (yes really). In the modern reproduction market, Pedersoli is really the only company that makes AND imports smoothbores to this country. Pedersoli offers a wide variety of smoothbores for a variety of uses in both percussion and flint. Pedersoli can be found at numerous retailers. Prices run $1k to $2k.

Then there is the custom market. Several builders offer smoothbores. The is a bit of an increase in cost and of course a lead or 'wait' time involved.

The used market can be found HERE in the forum classifieds, Track of the Wolf, and elsewhere where online gun auctions are found. Old T/C smoothbores are great. The old CVA's are usually well regarded. Used customs often can be had at a discount.

As for your other hobbies, I can't help you there. My only reason for existence in this world is to hunt, fish, trap, and shoot.

How to aim a shotgun is a topic that has filled volumes in libraries. When wingshooting you POINT a shotgun, not AIM. However that goes out the window a bit when shooting ball. All balls in the kill zone of a deer (8" circle) at 50 yards would be a great goal for you with ball and a smoothbore. Start at 25 yards to get accustomed to the gun and your sight picture.

Not sure what company @Grayman is talking about. I do know that Loyalist Arms offers a Sea Service Brown Bess with a shorter 38" barrel.

Yes, it is a gun manufactured in India. Yes some guns made in India have bad reputations. I am one of the owners and users of muskets made in India and sold by Loyalist Arms. Loyalist Arms has a good reputation for serviceable and safe firearms. The major complaint I hear about the Loyalist Arms muskets is that they are heavier than an original. If I were in the market for an affordable Sea Service Musket, the offering by Loyalist would be one source I would consider.

loyalistarms.freeservers.com/britishseaservicemusket1778model.html

Smoothbore muskets and fowling guns are aimed by pointing. This is based on a consistent cheek position on the stock and the relationship of the front sight bead of a fowling gun or the bayonet lug on a musket. Your eye is the rear sight. You do want to see some of the barrel and the front "sight" when shooting or the gun will be shooting low. For hunting you want to know how the gun groups at 50 yards. With practice, the range can be extended to 65 to 75 yards.

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. So I'm layed up due to covid, Not sick, already had it, I had a motorcycle accident and broke my ankle. So I recently became interested in smoothbores after reading around here, I borrowed one from a good friend of mine. It was a ships musket or something. Basically a cut down brown bess musket. This fellow got his at a gun show and didn't know where it came from, so I searched around and found the company who sells them, but that company doesn't seem to be thought real highly of, and after reading the FAQ on their website, im not encouraged to buy a gun from them. So i looked on all the auction websites I know of but cant find a similar gun. I figured if anyone would know good places to look for this gun it would be you guys. On payday i will be paying the 30 percent down on a Natchez smoothbore from TVM, but ill have to wait awhile for that gun. I liked this "ships" musket for its handiness, and to my surprise it went off fast, and patterned awesome. ill stop blathering and get to the questions.

1. Are there any websites similar to the big gun auction sites that deal primarily in black powder fire arms, or are there any other outlets that sell the same guns the folks at the place i would rather not buy from?

2. How do you aim a smoothbore musket? Even with a smokeless shot gun I just stink with slugs and I was even worse with the little musket. Just lousy. What's a reasonable range for a new guy to be accurate with round ball shot from a smooth bore?

3. How does one support two very expensive habits at the same time ? Harley Davidson motorcycles and muzzleloaders ?

Sorry for being all over the place, but its been a long boring day. Thanks yall.

Given today's demand for guns of most any sort, it may take searching, patience and cash to find a particular gun. "Track of the Wolf" sells new and used guns on a "this is what we have right now" basis. Track has good photos of what they sell & watching their site will give you a feel for prices, etc.. "Clay Smith Guns" is another smaller site worth watching - Clay builds high end custom guns & fowler kits but sells a bit of everything on consignment. The "Contemporary Longrifle Association" website has a for sale section of higher end guns - another place to get a feel for what is available at a given price. And yes, the big sites such as "Gunbroker" and "Guns International" do sell black powder guns.

Although I am probably considered a heretic in the smoothbore world, I put a front and rear sight on my 12 flintlock smoothbore. In the heat of the battle I want to know exactly where my gun is aimed. If I shot it more I probably wouldn't need the rear sight but I only pull it out for turkey hunting and not much of that.

Latest posts

Back