• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When to install sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks...should I brown the barrel before I cut the dovetails for the front and rear sights, or after? Any recommendations?
Thanks
ELee

I cut dovetails before I brown the barrel. I do it by hand and it doesn't take much of a ding to take a divit out of the browning, just a small scrape will do.

--Mike

I cut my sights in just before browning. The barrel is just about ready for browning/bluing, the gunstock is already done. It's the time for the last dis-assembly for metal finishes, engraving, stamping, etc. If you cut the dovetails in early you'd chance getting some nasty cuts on your hands from handling the gun, for example wiping the dust off barrel. Been There.

I will usually install the sights fairly early as the stock takes shape after the inletting is complete and the butplate is on. Reason , adjusting the comb and cheek piece so the eye falls naturally into alignment. If you later need to remove the sights a piece of duct tape will de-bite the dovetails. Of course you will not tape the dovetails while you are drawfiling and polishing the barrel just be careful. You shouldn't be touching the barrel with your bare hands at that stage any how. BJH

Back