• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheellock - Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought y'all would like to see this?
A fellow collector acquaintance of mine in Germany in 1990 was allowed to take this breathtaking beauty out of it's case in the Vienna Hofburg (a privledge seldom offered anyone)and take these photographs. He does not think that this lock exists in any books or published print medium. Curators in Europe and elsewhere believe this is the most refined and highly stylized wheellock mechanism in existance.
Though there are no marks, it was probably made in Nuremberg. However, it is specificlly dated 1551. It's believed this lock was never intended to be mounted to a gun. Rather, it was most probably a masterpiece and kept on display at the locksmith's showroom. The amount of chisel work must have taken hundreds of hours.
Anyway, just for your viewing pleasure. Have a great Thanksgiving. Rick.
OrnatewheellockMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____2_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____17_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____16_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____15_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____13_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____12_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____10_klMedium.jpg
_Welt____11_klMedium.jpg[/IMG]
Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____9_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____7a__klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____7_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____6a_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____5a_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____5_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____4_klMedium.jpg

Prunkradschlo_Nbg__dat__1551_-_schnstes_der_Welt____18_klMedium.jpg

Absolutly incredible!!!!!!!! and what a story...
Thank you so much for sharing your find...much
appreciated....
Wulf

Wow. Just Wow!!

Today you just throw a piece of metal into a machine and hit the "on" button, but to think that everything on that lock was made by hand, well that just boggles my mind.

Thanks for the pics

Hi Ricky,
Thanks for the photos. A wonderful lock for its time, which is relatively early for decorated wheellocks. It has the classic features of early wheellocks and is undoubtedly a masterpiece for the mid-16th century. However, with respect to the claim that it is the epitome of wheellocks, for quality, technical sophistication, and artistic merit, it does not compare to the work of Emmanuel and Daniel Sadeler of Munich during the first decade of the 17th century. The metal chiseling and engraving is crude compared to the work of the Munich school.

dave

Hi Dave!! Thanks for your reply. And, Happy Thanksgiving!!
You are probably right about the Mucich lock makers. I just don't remember seeig photos of their work. It amazes me some peoples brain-to-hand skills. Some interesting features of this lock: 1) It still retains the old-fashioned sickle-shaped dog spring running around the wheel while the dog represents the modern style of the mid-16th Century. 2) The long brass arm reaching up to the pan cover left of the wheel. What one would expect to be an additional snap match holder, here it is only a stylized ornament though screwed to the lock plate like a working match holder?? 3) The multiple holes drilled on the bottom edge of the lock plate?
These three items and the overall size of the lock are what make me believe this was a styling exercise by the locksmith and not designed to be mounted to a gun. Anyway, thanks for looking. Rick.

Interestingly, I cannot locate the "sear" on the lock, if that's the correct term.

The wheel is wound and the chain and spring are held compressed by the sear, but I can't see anything that links the trigger catch, at the rear of the lock, to the wheel - again, I may have the wrong terms.

Basically, what I mean is, the little catch at the rear, that the trigger would press against doesn't appear to connect to the wheel, so what holds it spun and compressed? :confused:

The part marked sear lever in the picture below is what you refer to? I couldnt see it in that photo either; it looks like that fileworked part that might be the end of the mainspring is the best candidate but it doesn't seem to reach as far as the wheel.
The perforated strip around the outside looks like an afterthought for a lock to be displayed rather than mounted to a firearm.
RoyalArmouries-p11.jpg

Hi Ricky,
Again thanks much for posting the photos. I never get tired at looking at that kind of workmanship and the lock surely is an enigma. Tower75, the connection between the primary sear and the wheel is obscured in the photos and I wonder about it as well. The internal design is a bit unusual for wheellocks making me think that perhaps it was not a demonstration model. The squared spindle has some wear possibly from the spanner suggesting that it may have been used. I am going to hazard a really far out guess that it might have been mounted on an all-metal (iron?) gun and the thin sleeve of metal on the inside provided a collar, which slipped into a metal recess in the stock. Alternatively, and perhaps more likely (again a wild guess on my part), it may have been the lock for a combination weapon, like a wheellock gun mounted to a halberd, war hammer, or crossbow. The lock is pictured in Hans Schedelmann's book "Die Grossen Buchsenmacher" on page 3. He doesn't provide any more info than the date and place of manufacture.

Ricky, I attached some photos of Emmanuel and Daniel Sadeler's work. The stock sheathed with inlayed bone was made by Hieronymous Borstorffer who was one of the greatest gunstockers of all time. Enjoy,

dave

SadelerLock1.jpg

SadelerLock2.jpg

Yup. That's what I meant. Glad I'm not the only one who thought so. Excellent internal picture too.

DavePerson, I guess you could be right. It's probably a "hey, look what I can do" demo piece meant for the chap's workshop.

Latest posts

Back